Suggestion from the Devs on Best Storage Hardware

• Hello Dev-

I have recently started burst mining (only 3 days now :)) and I only have 300GB WD USB3.0 storage.

I was wondering if some of you experts can give your storage configurations (capacity, model, configuration, cpu vs gpu) so that folks like me (novice) can benefit out of it and make some sound decision in purchasing the storage.

Tagging some experts: @haitch @Turn0ff @FrilledShark @luxe

• @samreader1
    I'm using 3 harddrive to mine with, which is 4TB and 743GB in total. They aren't utilized 100% because of how they are placed and I'm only mining when I'm working on my computer. It is also how most people are going to be mining burst if it ever goes viral.

I have 2 1TB HDD connected directly to my computer. They takes 6s for both to be read.
    The third drive is a 4TH HDD connected to my home NAS (raspberry pi). It got 2 partitions of 512GB and 3TB + 512GB. The big portion is for backup and for burst mining. I have plotted 2TB + 748 GB for burst mining on it. It takes 75s to read it. (The last 512GB is for backup containing sensitive information, like Vector and Margin passphrase (and other things.))

This means I'm able to throw 4 TB + 743 GB at the burst network every 1 minute and 15 seconds.

The 2 drives located in my computer are an old iomega extern HDD and an unknown laptop HDD. I used to mine with 2 laptop HDDs, but the other one failed just after warranty and the one still alive is showing fatal signs. (Click sounds, read speeds randomly dropping, etc).

The one at my NAS is a seagate. It was 50% off and shop I bought it are some of the best (They will even replace an items not covered by warranty if it fails). Looking back I might have picked another one, but you might never no.

I don't know how you are going to make any sense of this. I have placed things where I find them most comfortable and easy to use. If you are going to get some gear from your local shop I would recommend against Seagate. They have the worst lifespan of all harddrives.

Note: I'm a bit exhausted right now and formatting isn't my top priority. You pinged me and I'm going to answer that ping.

• Wow, can't thank you enough, @FrilledShark . This is a very detailed and clear information.

I am thinking of getting a USB port outlet and attaching two(or more) 4 TB drives to it. The more I read the previous conversation, the more I am convinced that 'simple is better' and low $/TB are the 2 important takeaways.

Anyone else want to share their configurations?

• admin

My last extension was:
    4 x http://geizhals.eu/seagate-archive-hdd-v2-8tb-st8000as0002-a1204027.html
    but they were 40€ cheaper when i bought.
    I put them in this USB3 case ...
    1 x http://geizhals.eu/fantec-qb-35us3-6g-schwarz-1695-a1195884.html

Very happy with that investment until now.
    Lovely 32TB in small Case on one USB3 for below 30€ per TB.

• admin

Two primary miners:

• Home built server, 10 * 4TB drives, 143GB SAS OS disk, 60GB SSD Swap Volume, 2 * 1TB 2.5" drives. Dual 6 core 4120 AMD Opterons, 32GB RAM. Also mines on NiceHash.com via video card (R7-370).

• Frankenstein Server: HP Workstation with 32GB + 2 * 6 Core Xeon E5649, R9-280X GPU - runs VMware, miner is a VM that uses an external storage appliance for capacity - also mines Eth via pass-thru on the GPU.

• Storage Appliance for Frankenstein: Head unit - HP DL380 G6 - 32GB, Dual 4 Core Xeons, Internal Storage: 143GB SAS drive for boot, 256GB Intel SSD for caching, 6 * 1TB data disks, External Storage SAS linked drive Unit - 16 drives, 60TB capacity. The head unit is running Oracle Solaris, with the storage configured as ZFS pools/volumes with the SSD as ZIL/SLOG, presented to the vMware host over 40Gb Infiniband.

Also have my CloudMiner - 13TB in my colo hosted cluster in a box. Supermicro system. 4 Supermicro blades in a 2U chassis. Each node currently dual 12 core AMD Opteron 6234 with 64GB RAM (expanding to 128 GB in next couple of weeks), 7.5TB storage. One node is setup as a storage appliance like the one above, it is used as shared storage for the cluster - one link via 40Gb Infiniband, the other two over 1Gb ethernet. The cluster runs the *.burst-team.us servers (Including this one we're on)

H.

• Thank you @haitch. I realized some of my questions are redundant. I found your and few other folks great responses here:
    http://forums.burst-team.us:4567/topic/144/show-your-mining-rig-farm/8

Your setup sounds like a custom shop for Burst mining. Inspirational!

When you said CloudMiner, are you referring to this cloud mining provider: https://cloudminer.com ?

• admin

@samreader1 Definitely custom, but also testing out some of the ideas I use for my real life customers. The frankenstein setup was great for plotting, the SSD caching it does made plotting faster than it would have been accessing the drives as local, but as expected, it didn't really improve on the mining side, the caching the appliance does is not a benefit for mining.

The cloudminer is nothing to do with cloudminer.com, it's just a couple of VM's with storage in my cluster.

• @haitch said in Suggestion from the Devs on Best Storage Hardware:

Two primary miners:

• Home built server, 10 * 4TB drives, 143GB SAS OS disk, 60GB SSD Swap Volume, 2 * 1TB 2.5" drives. Dual 6 core 4120 AMD Opterons, 32GB RAM. Also mines on NiceHash.com via video card (R7-370).

• Frankenstein Server: HP Workstation with 32GB + 2 * 6 Core Xeon E5649, R9-280X GPU - runs VMware, miner is a VM that uses an external storage appliance for capacity - also mines Eth via pass-thru on the GPU.

• Storage Appliance for Frankenstein: Head unit - HP DL380 G6 - 32GB, Dual 4 Core Xeons, Internal Storage: 143GB SAS drive for boot, 256GB Intel SSD for caching, 6 * 1TB data disks, External Storage SAS linked drive Unit - 16 drives, 60TB capacity. The head unit is running Oracle Solaris, with the storage configured as ZFS pools/volumes with the SSD as ZIL/SLOG, presented to the vMware host over 40Gb Infiniband.

Also have my CloudMiner - 13TB in my colo hosted cluster in a box. Supermicro system. 4 Supermicro blades in a 2U chassis. Each node currently dual 12 core AMD Opteron 6234 with 64GB RAM (expanding to 128 GB in next couple of weeks), 7.5TB storage. One node is setup as a storage appliance like the one above, it is used as shared storage for the cluster - one link via 40Gb Infiniband, the other two over 1Gb ethernet. The cluster runs the *.burst-team.us servers (Including this one we're on)

H.

I want to be you some day 😨 How much burst do you make per day with all of that?