Noob questions for beginning mining burst

• Hello, i want to mine burst coin, i want to buy a good setup since the beginning, but i have questions. I know the whole propose of mining burst in HDD is because the power efficiency, then why there is a option to mine with GPU and CPU? And what is a plot and plotters? I don't understand what are those things. Thanks.

• admin

I suggest you watch this video series:

All needed Software (Up-to-Date) can be found here:
    https://forums.burst-team.us/category/9/burst-software

Wallet:

Plotting:

Mining:

Also @daWallet combined all the needed software in a All-in-One Windows Client, that can make getting started more easy.

You will find more in here:
    https://forums.burst-team.us/topic/166/step-by-step-video-guides-how-to-use-and-mine-burstcoin

• I watched the videos, still don't understand anything man, what is a plot and what is it for? the guy only explain the process, but i don't even know the basic things, what are plots and their porpuse. Also why to involve CPU or GPU in burstcoin? Please can you answer me these questions yourself, i saw the videos and end up more confused.

• @logart Hi. Here is a walkthrough for beginners in Burst. https://forums.burst-team.us/topic/1639/burst-newbies-walkthrough-a-must-read-for-beginners/1

Unlike other coins, Burst is mined through HDD. Before an HDD is mined, it needs to be plotted. For reasons unknown to me too as to why it needs to be plotted. But, it's the only way we can mine Burst, through a plotted HDD.

Plotting an HDD takes a lot of time using your CPU even the i7. So, a GPU plotter is made possible because GPUs are always better in computing values than CPUs.

After you plot your HDD, then you can mine. This time, it only uses your HDD and a small amount of CPU to read your plots approximately every 4 minutes. 🙂

• Hi @logart the learning curve is pretty high here.Yet, there is a lot of useful information on the forum. I recommend browsing through the topics and reading up on stuff in the HowTo's & Tutorials section of the forum.

We could retype what is in the older post but there is just way too much info to add to this thread. 🙂

• admin

@logart Plots are precalculated hashed needed for mining, they can be created faster using gpu.
    We can not write down every detail over and over again, but if you have a concrete question ... you will get a answer 🙂

• @luxe

Oh ok, so you just need a GPU to plot the hard drives faster than a CPU would do? But this is only done 1 time? after the drives are plotted you no longer will need the GPU? Is not like you'll be using the GPU to mine? only to plot the harddrives and this is only made once?

• @logart It's made once per HDD you have. Many here don't even use GPUs. Unless you're plotting a lot of TB's you need a GPU. But, if you have no GPU and you wanna mine burst, it's not so wise to buy a GPU, unless, like i said, you have a lot TB's.

• I want to start with at least 18 TB's. Why not using the GPU of the computer? Why would i need to buy another GPU?

• @logart What is the GPU you have in your computer?

• admin

Oh ok, so you just need a GPU to plot the hard drives faster than a CPU would do? But this is only done 1 time? after the drives are plotted you no longer will need the GPU? Is not like you'll be using the GPU to mine? only to plot the harddrives and this is only made once?

Correct, but there is still some computing needed on mining/scanning the pre-calculated hashes. So if you have a lot of TB you can use a gpu assisted miner. But cpu miner also has improved using AVX and stuff, so once you have a decent rig, you have to find your best choice.
    Maybe take a look here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1170987.msg12329106#msg12329106, may help you to understand.

• I have an imac i5 with Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB of ghrapic card. it requires more GPU power to plot drives? Also, would i be able to mine my plotted drives with a mac in OSX?

• @luxe gpu assisted miner? what's that for? once you have your drives plotted? Also, other question, how much heat it makes all combine? Can it be used in a close room?

• admin

gpu assisted is using less cpu, i do not know how much heat a mac produces ... but yes should also work in a closed room?! Mining means read 0.025% of plots and do some calculation every 4minutes.