Mining Experience on Intel NUC

• Hi there.

After trying to get an efficient mining-machine with my odroid XU4 without success i play around a bit with a Intel NUC 5i5. Now i want to share my experiences. Maybe someone is thinking about doing the same.

Here is my Setup:

PC: Intel NUC5i5RYH

• CPU: i5-5250U
    • GPU: HD 6000
    • 256GB SSD (you could add more)
    • 8GB of RAM (you could add up to 16GB)
    • Ubuntu 14.04 OS

Plots:

• 8 external HDDs (USB3) with 36TB of plotfiles in total.

Now i run jminer on that machine and its able to mine my hdds within 23sec.
    I think the bottleneck is the USB-Speed and not the integrated HD 6000 graphics. So you can add much more storage to the NUC if you want. For this little PC its awesome in my opinion! 🙂

The Power-Consumption of the hole system (NUC+HDDS) is 70W while mining and 50W in idle. Most of it is caused by the HDDs. This is way better than mining on my Desktop with ~150W-175W.

• admin

@piezo Nice one! Would be cool if you find a tool like gpu-z or something to be able to post grafix of cpu/gpu/io usage. No idea what is available on linux. And you surely mean 36TB not GB?! right?!

• @luxe said in Mining Experience on Intel NUC:

@piezo Nice one! Would be cool if you find a tool like gpu-z or something to be able to post grafix of cpu/gpu/io usage. No idea what is available on linux. And you surely mean 36TB not GB?! right?!

Yes, TB. 😉

The only graphs i can offer are the normal CPU-loads while mining.
    0_1475337143518_3.png

Don´t know why there is so much CPU-load, maybe it is an compined view for the cpu and embedded GPU? Now idea.

But the chosen device in the jminer is the gpu-unit.
    0_1475337481892_5.jpeg

• admin

There is much CPU because your GPU only assists and not does everything. Also USB access uses CPU. However, CPU could be the limiting factor here ... thanks for the screen 🙂 But also the USB controller ... if there is only one.
    Also you may be right, and it is a combined view CPU/GPU, cause it is embedded GPU.
    Maybe you did not see it yet, here are some stats from my 'old' setup ... https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1170987.msg12329106#msg12329106 You will see, that of cause there is also CPU usage.

However, i would say 60sec. for mining are still acceptable, so it is possible to attach 100TB+ to such a mini-PC, that's amazing. Btw. how long did it take before you were using jminer?

• @luxe

Btw. how long did it take before you were using jminer?

You mean with a CPU miner? No idea, didn't test it. Jminer was my first run on the NUC. 🙂
    If there is interest I can test the CPU mining performance the following days...

• admin

@piezo Ok, i thought you did already cause your wrote:

Now i run jminer on that machine and its able to mine my hdds within 23sec.

Got that wrong.
    But sure would be interesting ... just to see how fast such a embedded gpu is.

• admin

@piezo amazing data!
    What's your stagger size? Can you run Blago's miner in AVX mode?

• @daWallet said in Mining Experience on Intel NUC:

@piezo amazing data!
    What's your stagger size? Can you run Blago's miner in AVX mode?

Stagger size is between 20.000 and 50.000. Mostly 50.000 .
    Unfortunately i couldn´t run Blagos miner because i have no license-key for Windows OS.