Are Nonces Used More Than Once?

• I guess this question is a bit technical and if its a trade secret just say so. But say I have a deadline for block 284234 of 196385 seconds. That is what the Nonce says right? And if so has that particular point just been waiting for block 284234 since it was plotted or can it contain other deadlines for other blocks as well? And will that point that has the deadline for block 284234 ever contain a deadline for another block or has it simply been used for its purpose. Do my plot files find less deadlines over time (theoretically over the long haul)?

This opens up a whole pandoras box of questions. I have a feeling I'm not going to get an answer on this but I'm curious so I figured I would ask. Thank you to all the Burst creators and administrators, this has been fun so far!

• @mcchurchmouse Someone will chime in with a more technical answer I hope since I am new. What happens to the deadline is controlled by the Difficulty and the Scoop I believe. Scoop is random combined with difficulty. So at that point the pool size or Solo mine size will give you a probability of finding a deadline. The more nonces you have the higher the probability of getting a good deadline or multiple deadlines.

This is why there are Shares on Pools since you are pooling your resources to help find a deadline to win a block. If you have ever hashed at finding a block on BitCoin you know how long it would take at a high difficulty and small hash.

The principles are exactly the same only your hash power is the hard drive size and if you can find your deadlines fast enough too. There may only be 1 really low deadline per block but if someone finds their 1:00 deadline before you find your 30 second deadline and 1minute is up, they win the block.

It is all about luck, speed and the size of the entire network vs your pool or solo plots. If you are on a pool with 1000 miners you get smaller shares and your chances of hitting a block now are 1 in 1000 but also compared to your plot size on the average. If you are on a small pool and are a bigger plot you have a longer wait to hit a block but a larger reward at that point. It may average out the same but if you are lucky on a big pool you also can get your reward reduced as there are many other shares to pay.

I personally like the smaller pools.

• I've taken a liking to solo mining, I am an all or nothing kinda guy. I'm ok with watching my wallet stay empty till I hit it big again.

I just can't help but wonder where these deadlines come from and if they are reusable or if eventually I will have to replot when all my deadlines have been submitted (probably an exercise in thought because it will take an eternity for all my ~75 million nonces to all hit). Not to mention that if every nonce is connected to a specific block once and only once then it would be possible to only submit deadlines when my deadline is under 5 minutes and save scanning the whole disk every time. Again, probably more of a thought experiment but I'm curious.

• @mcchurchmouse No it could never work that way. If your nonces only worked on certain blocks then if there were not enough miners a block would never be found or the deadline would be so bad that it would take 30 days. But then people would have 30 days to come on line and find the block with new nonces. It is the difficulty that creates the probability. If you were one of 10 other miners who all had the same plot size the difficulty would work its way to the max your plots could handle at a 4 minute block time. When the network finds blocks faster than 4 minutes for a period of time it moves the difficulty higher. This averages out the block times so the network doesn't move too fast and allows others to compete for the same coin.

If you were the only miner on Burst you would always find every block, just at different deadlines. Some higher some lower and some right at 4 minutes. It is only because you are competing on the network that raises or lowers your probability of finding a block. This also makes it so a 51% attack can't happen. Competition is good.

I get rewards on blocks for smaller pools that are 1700 Burst it is worth it since it averages out and you get shares too while mining if someone else gets a block.

• So you think it is more of a situation where the current working block is like a key and the nonces on my hard drives are locks. The difficulty of the block corresponds to how many bumps there are on the key. If the difficulty is low my lock only needs to mate with key bumps a-d where if the difficulty is high it needs to match bumps a-z... The locks can be used multiple times and every lock is unique and unlocks a unique deadline. So me and UserA may both have the same lock (nonce value) but our hidden deadlines are almost guaranteed to be different.

• @mcchurchmouse Hey, very interesting discussion here. You should find answers to some of your question in the official website : https://www.burst-team.us/index.php/about/
    If you want to get into the real technical stuff, you have the whitepaper of the Proof of Space algorithm here : http://web.burst-team.us/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Uni_Warsaw_Uni_Bochum_IST_Austria_Proof_Of_Space.pdf