Manual plotting - question about nonces and ranges

• It has been a long time since I last tried manual plotting, so I have a few questions.

Is having plots in numerous locations what determines that they are read in parallel? Or, is it something to do with the plot ranges?

I wish to plot using the GPU plotter. Assuming I have no plots from before, can my first plot number look like this '1', and can I just keep increasing this number indefinitely as I get more plots to add? Or, will the actual plots number (the amount of digits) have an impact on performance after a while? I am trying to find out if it is necessary for me to plot files to more than one wallet at a certain point (in order to 'restart' my nonce numbers), or if I in theory can plot an endless amount of plots connected with the same wallet?

As en example: Will a plots range from 82746384735384765 to 89274654528353847 be just as effective as a range from 83645 to 89645?

If I haven't made myself clear, please say so and I will try to rephrase.

• @Propagandalf As far as I know you can keep increasing, they only limit would be the bounds of the data type used in the plotting algorithm. (the author of the plotting software can give this detail). No real difference in which range of numbers you use just make sure you do not have overlaps.

• @iKnow0 said in Manual plotting - question about nonces and ranges:

@Propagandalf As far as I know you can keep increasing, they only limit would be the bounds of the data type used in the plotting algorithm. (the author of the plotting software can give this detail). No real difference in which range of numbers you use just make sure you do not have overlaps.

Thanks! What about the parallel reading, does the miner program only read in parallel when plots are in a different location (drive letter for instance)? Or can you put several plots in the same location, and they will be read in parallel because they are two different plot files?

• @Propagandalf has to been on different drives, because the read head of the drive would have to be in two places at once.

• @Propagandalf Plots on multiple drives can be read in parallel and will speed reading. There is no value in reading plots on the same drive in parallel as the head would have to move between the two plots which would slow things.

Rich

• @iKnow0 @RichBC Thanks!

Having accessed the gpuplotgenerator.exe file from within the command line, and entered 'setup', I am able to start configuring the devices using the setup option. I proceed to choose platform ID and device ID, and then I am asked to choose a value for

• Global work size (2048 recommended:

• Local work size (256 recommended):

• Hashes number (8192 recommended):

Are these recommended values based on my particular GPU, or are they general recommended values? Should I choose them?

This time I am plotting with a Geforce GTX 750 Ti and I have 16 GB system RAM, but only 13 GB available.

• @Propagandalf You can read in parallel inside the same drive by just using different folders on the same drive, althought i don't think it worth the trouble...
    The max nonces per account is 18446744073709551615 wich correspond to 4'294'967'296 PB, so unless you are building the biggest Datacenter on earth this will never be a problem hahaha

EDIT: To build a 4'294'967'296 PB farm you would spend more than 100 trillion $ and you would get 10 trillion $ by month according to the calculator 0.0 LOL

• @gpedro said in Manual plotting - question about nonces and ranges:

To build a 4'294'967'296 PB farm you would spend more than 100 trillion $ and you would get 10 trillion $ by month according to the calculator 0.0 LOL

Do you think I can create a crowdfund for that? lol xD j/k

• @socalguy LOL you can for sure... I don't think you will had much pledgers but yeah xD

• @Propagandalf I have the same setup. Are Linux or Windows? I am using Ubuntu and did not fair well with gpuPlotGenerator in Linux environment.
    If you are in Linux, would you go into some detail as to how you setup your system (drive sizes, devices.txt, numbers for generation)? I am interested
    in comparing your setup with mine. I am using cpu MDCCT and getting 2048 n/m (very slow) because it is the best I can do.
    Thanks for any help you can give.

• I have been using this plotter and have had a problem.
    The plotter has slowed to a crawl or stopped altogether at 95% complete. My drive is 5TB.

Here is input to start:

./plot -k xxxxxxxxxxxxx587 -x 1 -d /media/imbota/burst/ -s 0

Working output:

Using SSE2 core.
    Creating plots for nonces 0 to 18907000 (4959 GB) using 12775 MB memory and 4 threads
    95 percent done.

Does anyone have an idea as to why this might happen?
    Thanks for any help you can give.

• admin

@vadirthedark a 5TB drive is not actually 5TB (5,497,558,138,880 Bytes) - it 5,000,000,000,000 bytes, or 4,656 GB. You've hit your disk capacity when you reached 95% of 5TB.

• @haitch Thanks for your quick reply.
    If that is correct, is there anything I can do at this point?
    If I need to start again, what % of drive capacity would you suggest?
    Thanks for your help.

• admin

@vadirthedark Run the plotschecker (available in the Burst Software section) against the file and it will fix it - no need to replot.

• @haitch
    I am in linux, will this be a problem? Right now I am having errors when trying to run .exe.

• admin

@vadirthedark You'll need to run it on a Windows machine - but you should be able to map a drive on the Windows box via Samba on linux, then run it against the plot on the mapped drive.