New to mining: Seagate 8TB archive HDD and plot optimization question

• Hello

I'm looking to start mining burst with some black friday HDD deals. On Amazon, the cheapest 8TB HDD is the seagate archive HDD.

The description says "The Seagate Archive HDD 8TB is a high capacity, energy efficient and lower cost hard drive for active archive purposes. The drive comes with impressive burst results but lower sustained write results, which are to be expected in this class of SMR drives."

Will these type of hard drives be suitable for mining with the poorer sustained write speeds? I guess plotting will be slow, but will mining or power consumption be affected? If not, which hard drives do you recommend? I'm only looking for 8tb HDDs due to limited space and a slight price premium to 3 or 4 tb drives is fine.

Secondly, about plot optimization. I read that to optimize a 4TB plot, you need 4TB of spare space. With a 8TB drive, does it mean I should plot 4TB, optimize that 4TB, then plot 2TB, optimize the 2TB and so on? Or perhaps do multiple 500GB/1TB plots?

Also, should a few percent of the drive be left empty, or is it all right to fill up every last byte of the drive?

I wish to get the best performance with the least power consumption/drive activity. Any advise to setup and optimize a 8TB drive is very appreciated.

Lastly, can I mine directly to Poloniex? It's less safe, but with just a few dollars in the account I prefer the convenience. Thanks guys.

• @kaydencc I'm using a 2 x seagate D3 5tb HDD, practically the same product and they are working fine.
    About the speed if it is usb 3.0, as I think, you are ok.
    Plotting is not related to mining per se, if you plot correctly.
    About optimisation if you have jaust this HDD so, you have to calculate you best strategy to optimize, the best is less plot fille with bigger stagger size.
    No no need to left empty few % of you HDD

• @kaydencc
    Have a look at this tread.
    I am using the USB3 5TB ones and they work perfectly!
    The only thing you should not do with SMR drives is writing a optimized plot directly! (e.g. gpuPlotGenerator.exe direct ......)

• Stay away...they are only good for archiving not Burstcoin mining. Every morning I start the day looking to see which of my 2 drives need a replot. If you see my post somewhere else these 2 drives have been replaced 4 times each under the 1 year warranty.

The only thing seagate made right is the external 5tb drive

• ok! lucky me then!

• I have 4 of the 5tb Seagates and they are working perfect :D, all of them are usb 3.0 and connected to a port hub

• @Burstde said in New to mining: Seagate 8TB archive HDD and plot optimization question:

Stay away...they are only good for archiving not Burstcoin mining. Every morning I start the day looking to see which of my 2 drives need a replot. If you see my post somewhere else these 2 drives have been replaced 4 times each under the 1 year warranty.

@Burstde said in New to mining: Seagate 8TB archive HDD and plot optimization question:

Stay away...they are only good for archiving not Burstcoin mining. Every morning I start the day looking to see which of my 2 drives need a replot. If you see my post somewhere else these 2 drives have been replaced 4 times each under the 1 year warranty.

That sucks man. I remember one of the admins here saying that the archive style is perfect for Burst mining. I believe he is using them as well. Do you have the Seagate Archive for all your drives?

• admin

@kaydencc
    No, you can not mine directly to a polo account, cause you do not know the passphrase for that account and you will need it to switch pools or even solo mine.

The 8TB Archive drive of Seagate is due it's specification like made for burst mining.
    But you will have speed issues if you plan to optimize plotfiles on same drive, so best would be to plot to another drive, maybe in 500GB steps ... and than optimize to your archive drive. I have 4 of this drives running and no issues so far ... running for one year.

Btw. it's not just the archive drives but also some desktop drives, that use SMR, learn what SMR means and decide if you really want such a drive or if you want to invest a little more to get a more flexible drive.
    https://forums.burst-team.us/topic/2394/shingled-magnetic-recording-smr

@nox
    I do not know if the drives have a high risk of getting corrupted or something, i'm just saying (and i repeated it here) that their specification fit nearly perfect with the needs of burst mining.

• Their annual Workload Rate Limit 180TB is nearly like the needed 250TB for burst mining ...
      (8TB / 4096 scoops ) * 356 days * 360 blocks per day = 250TB
    • They are made for running 24/7
    • They are meant to be written once and than only read with up to 180MB/s
    • They are cheap capacity compared to other drives (no that cheap anymore, would not pay more than ~210€)

• Thanks for the advise guys. I'll try to find 8 to 10tb drives with 3-5 year warranty for below $35/tb during deals. There's actually a used 10tb seagate hdd on amazon for $350 now, but it doesn't ship internationally. Linked here if you guys want it (only 1 left).

If there aren't alternatives, the archive drive shall do. Flexibility is worth a little extra as I may use them for storj.io or sia in the future.

@luxe About ram, my system has 16gb of ram with i7 6800k. Is there a certain ram requirement for mining with 70 - 80TB? I saw your screenshot in "Post your mining rigs" thread and you had 19gb of ram used.

I also don't know if there will be a bandwidth bottleneck with 10 drives on 10 sata connections because my 28 pcie slots are maxed with 4x Rx 480 for zcash mining.

• Here is a better picture of the two drives I have that were both once new and now all 4 replacements of each were re-certified. I will say this is they do honor their warranty if each one was replaced. They better still honor them cause I just noticed they gave me one made form last year
    0_1479274952369_IMG_20161116_242920767.jpg

• @luxe said in New to mining: Seagate 8TB archive HDD and plot optimization question:

@kaydencc
    No, you can not mine directly to a polo account, cause you do not know the passphrase for that account and you will need it to switch pools or even solo mine.

The 8TB Archive drive of Seagate is due it's specification like made for burst mining.
    But you will have speed issues if you plan to optimize plotfiles on same drive, so best would be to plot to another drive, maybe in 500GB steps ... and than optimize to your archive drive. I have 4 of this drives running and no issues so far ... running for one year.

Btw. it's not just the archive drives but also some desktop drives, that use SMR, learn what SMR means and decide if you really want such a drive or if you want to invest a little more to get a more flexible drive.
    https://forums.burst-team.us/topic/2394/shingled-magnetic-recording-smr

@nox
    I do not know if the drives have a high risk of getting corrupted or something, i'm just saying (and i repeated it here) that their specification fit nearly perfect with the needs of burst mining.

• Their annual Workload Rate Limit 180TB is nearly like the needed 250TB for burst mining ...
      (8TB / 4096 scoops ) * 356 days * 360 blocks per day = 250TB
    • They are made for running 24/7
    • They are meant to be written once and than only read with up to 180MB/s
    • They are cheap capacity compared to other drives (no that cheap anymore, would not pay more than ~210€)

Thank you luxe, I always learn something new from your posts

• admin

@kaydencc said in New to mining: Seagate 8TB archive HDD and plot optimization question:

@luxe About ram, my system has 16gb of ram with i7 6800k. Is there a certain ram requirement for mining with 70 - 80TB? I saw your screenshot in "Post your mining rigs" thread and you had 19gb of ram used.

I also don't know if there will be a bandwidth bottleneck with 10 drives on 10 sata connections because my 28 pcie slots are maxed with 4x Rx 480 for zcash mining.

@kaydencc no that ram is not used for mining, i just had a vm running or something, 16GB is more than enough.
    I do not think you will have a pcie bottleneck, 28 lanes/pcie3 -> ~28GB/s for a round of burst mining @100TB you will only need ~25GB ... (~100000GB/4096) so you pcie will only be used 1s per 4min 🙂

• @kaydencc I've just stumbled on your topic. I've ordered 500TB of those drive to start Burst mining operation. Could I message you in private for details on your rig and basic questions?

• @Burstde since last post Seagates have been good up to 6 drives now

• @Burstde said in New to mining: Seagate 8TB archive HDD and plot optimization question:

@Burstde since last post Seagates have been good up to 6 drives now

Those Archive drives have a lower RPM & smaller Cache than other versions. Does that make much difference to the Plot read-speed when ฿urst-Mining?

• @BeholdMiNuggets Heya, I have 6 of these 8TB archive drives. Once plotting is done, their reading speed is just fine, no problems with them - so far.

• @thomeefl69 said in New to mining: Seagate 8TB archive HDD and plot optimization question:

Heya, I have 6 of these 8TB archive drives. Once plotting is done, their reading speed is just fine, no problems with them - so far.

Thanks ~ which Burst-Miner do you use and how long does it take to Read each 8Tb drive, and in total for all Six?

• @BeholdMiNuggets I use the new Blago miner with AVX2 and it takes about 30-35 seconds to read 76 TB in total

• @thomeefl69 said in New to mining: Seagate 8TB archive HDD and plot optimization question:

@BeholdMiNuggets I use the new Blago miner with AVX2 and it takes about 30-35 seconds to read 76 TB in total.

Ok, cool. I guess it depends on the system resources. What Cpu, Ram & Allocated Treads are you using for your Burst-mining (via the Blago code)? Also, it looks like you have a bunch of other Capacity, in addition to the (6x) Archive/8Tb HDD.

• @BeholdMiNuggets I just left it on default...I didn't change any settings other than pool and such. The rest of my HDDs are WDs ; I usually buy externals and pull the drive out and use them internally.