Can someone manipulate the blockchain? Fake transactions?

• This is not the first time happened. Before I got reply saying wallet not synced yet, however the coins related to the transaction never been seen again.

Anyhow, it just happened again, so I was able to get some screenshot/info out of the pool script.

0_1481293304874_Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 14.21.08.png

As we can see in the screenshot above, at block 304108 the pool balance was 27 BURST.
    When block 304109 started, pool balance become 2344 BURST so I guess that previous block was won by the pool.

As per the logs, pool have submitted 3 payment, however these payment have never reached the destination addresses. When I check with the provided TX id, they are non existent. So the payment was never sent out.

Please note that this time the pool wallet is well synced, there is no issue with that.

When block 304110 started, the pool balance become 78 again, which really do not match any of my calculation.

So my question once again, how this is possible?

How the API can detect BURST coin, which can be seen nowhere? How a transaction can be sent which is not broadcasted and the TX id is invalid?

I really have a feeling that someone able to manipulate the blockchain they way he/she want it.

On my pool Address (BURST-9DRH-PBKE-CGSB-3N53Q) there is no trace of any of these transaction.

I would really like to have some answers on that.

Thanks.

• @Jumper , let's see our pool experts explain it. Maybe @Lexicon can give us some enlightenment.

• Hi there,

I think this is a known issue. (ghostblock)
    The pool think she won the block but the blockchain rectify it at the next block.
    So all of related transactions does not exist.

Can others confirm ?

Ben

• Its called a Ghost block! I have had more than my share! One way it could happen is when 2 pools have DL that are very close together. Both pools think they won but in reality only one. So a block get deposited to your wallet but 20sec later is taken away. That is the blockchain correcting itself. Another way it could happen is when your server time if off.

• @BenBurst said in Can someone manipulate the blockchain? Fake transactions?:

Hi there,

I think this is a known issue. (ghostblock)
    The pool think she won the block but the blockchain rectify it at the next block.
    So all of related transactions does not exist.

Can others confirm ?

Ben

Thank, that would explain, but I just do not feel fair and safe if this rectification can be done without any trace.

How someone can prove me that this was or any of other payment/block was a ghostblock if there is no trace of the change?

• @tross said in Can someone manipulate the blockchain? Fake transactions?:

Its called a Ghost block! I have had more than my share! One way it could happen is when 2 pools have DL that are very close together. Both pools think they won but in reality only one. So a block get deposited to your wallet but 20sec later is taken away. That is the blockchain correcting itself. Another way it could happen is when your server time if off.

It would be nice if I could see that deposit and then the taken away from my pool. The issue is, I cannot see it.

• Look at the session json it will show you winning the block but if you look at explorer or a pool that lists winner then you will see another address. It happens to ninja pools too. I have seen it a couple times and watch the list change.

• @tross said in Can someone manipulate the blockchain? Fake transactions?:

Look at the session json it will show you winning the block but if you look at explorer or a pool that lists winner then you will see another address.

Thanks Tross, anyway, I guess that ghostblock was/is the issue any time this is happened. But again. a deposit to the wallet should be a transaction. A correction should be another transaction, so this should be trackable and visible in the wallet itself.

I mean if someone deposit money into my account at the back then the bank correct it, I will still see it. They not doing this blindly.

However with BURST, I have a feeling that the blockchain can do lots of things without any trace in the wallet itself. That I would not call it safe.

• admin

In general I want to say that orphaned blocks do happen with Blockchain Technology and are the reason why we wait 4 or more confirmations (blocks) to pass by to be sure a transaction is included to the blockchain.

https://blog.cex.io/bitcoin-dictionary/what-is-an-orphan-block-9632

Pool code should not pay out too fast and wait some blocks. I thought this is included by @Lexicon in urays pool code.

• @daWallet Thanks. apparently this part is not included, but I will change it then. That actually make sense. Thanks again.

• the part is included. just currently set static. ill update the repo shortly

• I like to call then Ghost Blocks because you see them and when you turn they are gone!

• @Lexicon said in Can someone manipulate the blockchain? Fake transactions?:

the part is included. just currently set static. ill update the repo shortly

That would be excellent. Can you please let me know in which file you are making the changes. Well, I can compare them for sure but it would be easier update my pool that way without overwriting my changes. Thanks.

• @Jumper

As daWallet say, the network wait 4 blocks or more to confirm a transaction, so no security issue there.

Ben

• @Jumper you should see whats changed on the github page buddy so take a look when i upload it

• it just happened again. That is not good.

0_1481319185527_1.png

0_1481319194962_2.png

and once again pool wallet have no history on what happened.

BTW: the log stated that my address was the winning one here.

My best DL was on that block 390, however as per blockchain, the winner had higher DL, so again, how that is possible?

0_1481319421779_3.png

• @Jumper I sent you a message!

• admin

@Jumper You had a DL of 6 minutes 30 seconds, the pools show a 6 minute 29 second DL winning it. Consensus amongst the nodes is not instantaneous - so you have the issue of two pools thinking they won, but when the blockchain reaches consensus, one of those pools didn't win. That's why there need to be several blocks after "winning" to confirm that you really did.

• @haitch Thanks. Will update the code once the updated code is available on github. Hopefully that will fix it.

• update synced 🙂 should be now available to dl