Noob to Burst need assistance with GPU plotter

• I have alot of storage and was trying to figure out how to plot faster. I was trying to load the GPUminer but it isn't doing anything when I try to run the application. I click it and then nothing happens. Any thoughts?

• so GPUminer or plotter? 🙂

• Sorry, I meant GPUplotter! I downloaded the Generator.

• @Jay-em you need to setup devices.txt (just follow readme file instructions to get started) and make yourself bat file to start plotter something like

setx GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR 0
    setx GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE 100
    setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
    setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
    setx GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
    gpuPlotGenerator generate buffer T://<account_numeric_id>_<nonces_start>_<nonces_amount>_<stagger_size>
    pause

example for stagger_size -> 16384 is equal 4GB of RAM
    nonces is how much space you want to fill on your harddrive

• Ok first I would like to say thanks! I was able to get it working. The program now fires up and runs much faster than the painful 3,400 nonces per minute! It hit about 22,000 - 25,000 nonces per min now. However, It seems that it slows down substantially over time. Is there a reason for that. I tried to plot about 10gb as a test and it finished in about 3 minutes. I upped it to 2tb as another test and it got through maybe 100gb before the nonces per min slowed to about 5,500 - 6,500 per min. Is there anything I can do to get it to hold at the higher rates?

• @Jay-em are you doing buffered or direct plotting? For me R9 270x in buffered mode plotting ~1.5TB settlet ~20k nonces per min.
    It might be that you still need to tweek some settings for card but honestly i dont know 🙂
    Maybe some more experienced in plotting will come in and answer you.

• admin

@Jay-em It's also going to depend on the hard drive technology. SMR (shingled magnetic recording) drives are painfully slow for plotting.

• @LithStud I am running it in buffered mode. I will mess around to see what I can do. Thanks for your help. much appreciated!

• @haitch Interesting. I am pretty novice when it comes to this stuff. Didn't know much about SMR Technology. Just finished up some reading on it. Are there non-smr drives you would suggest that are best for use in regards to being able to plot faster?

• you can do minor adjustments and speed it up a little ... better GPU gfx card .. more ram ... adjust your config seting's ... but when you get down to it ploting it the part that takes the longest and is the most boring.... the good news as long as you take your time and plot correctly it only has to be done 1 time ever ... witch is one of the reason burst mining is so energy efficient your not running you gpu like that 24/7 to mine. you save the calculations the gpu is doing and just scan them.

• admin

@Jay-em pretty much any other type of drive will be faster. For SMR drives, it's best to optimize to a "regular" drive, then optimize that to the SMR drive. SMR drives are fine for mining, just painful to plot.