What is AVX2

• What does -x 2 ( AVX2 ) do exactly? I know it cuts the plotting time by half, but is there any down side to that, like when mining? And I believe that your stagger should divide equally to your nonces, right? What is the stagger? And why is it better having a bigger stagger? And why should the stagger divide equally to your nonces?

• @Tate-A Well i will try to answer those questions xD

1 - I'm not the correct person to answer this but as far as i know AVX2 is an advanced codepath that deal with the way CPU threads manage processes...
    2 - While mining makes it read the plots faster 😉
    3 - Right
    4 - The stagger is the number of nonces used in each scoop... When plotting the plotter fills the RAM (the RAM used in the plotting is the stagger of a given plot) and then writes what is in the RAM into the storage (plot file) one scoop at a time.
    5 - Bigger stagger, bigger scoop and less scoops in the same file... Then a scoop is the amount of nonces readed at a time while mining! When you are mining the miner reads 1/4096 nonces of each scoop and then goes to the next scoop and so on until it finishes read the plot file. Then goes to the next plot and do the same and so on... So basically the biggest the scoop is the less processes will be started and stopped while reading plots and that correspond to miliseconds gained during the reading process, multiplied for a lot of scoops and plots it will gives you some seconds of diference while reading the plots during mining...
    6 - With the previous answers i already responded to this but basically is because the number of nonces inside each scoop have to be exactly the same, so if it is not the same, the last scoop will always be ignored and the plot will be easily corrupt over time ;P

I think all my answers are correct but if some of the guys with more correct knowledge than me can confirm all i said i'd appreciate 😉

• does it mean the bigger the stagger the better? fast read time when mining?

• admin

@Yey_09 Yes, the bigger the stagger, the faster the plot can be mined.

• @haitch said in What is AVX2:

@Yey_09 Yes, the bigger the stagger, the faster the plot can be mined.

Oh I see.. need to replot all my drives then

• admin

@Yey_09 rather than replot, you can use the plot optimizer to optimize your existing plots - you're going to need free space though. The optimizer is available from the Software category here.

• @Yey_09 The optimizer will make your plot only have 1 scoop because stagger will be equal to number of nonces...
    @Tate-A since @haitch didn't pointed nothing in my response i guess i told everything correctly hahaha

• @haitch said in What is AVX2:

@Yey_09 rather than replot, you can use the plot optimizer to optimize your existing plots - you're going to need free space though. The optimizer is available from the Software category here.

I already did that on all of my plots. so no need to repllot then.

Thanks

• @gpedro Thanks!! 🙂