Question about Mb/s rate in command line

• Hello,

I'm mining from 2 different laptops (both in AVX mode) and I noticed that laptop A is having a much better Mb/s rate than laptop B on same external harddisk. I'm using the Burst Client version 0.3.7
    Rate on laptop A is double one from laptop B.

Which hardware element is making this difference. Is there anything I can do to improve this?

Thank you.

• It's a bit hard to answer without knowing your laptop specs, but generally USB 3 is faster than USB 2 (if you are using USB at all), and CPU will make a difference for read speed. My guess is that one of both of those aspects are what's affecting your read speed.

• @SvenE Look at the usb port's the blue ones are usb3 and the non blue are usb2. As Propagandalf said they are much faster. 0_1484224108704_upload-b6a0d281-df34-4920-ac91-c54660f9eb08

• Thank you all for your input.

It turns out indeed that I'm connecting my external hard disk to an USB 2.0 port on my laptop B. That's bad luck because that laptop does not have 3.0 and appareantly not possible to upgrade your ports.

Does a lower Mb/s have a direct impact on your daily earnings? As far as I have figured it out, the only impact should be that it takes a longer time to run through all plots and to find deadlines therefore your might miss out on short blocks correct?

• @SvenE said in Question about Mb/s rate in command line:

appareantly not possible to upgrade your ports.

Apparently it is possible to upgrade your ports, by buying some kind of usb 3 controller card that you plug into your laptop's express card slot if you have one. I think there is some other option too, but I can't remember what it was right now.

@SvenE said in Question about Mb/s rate in command line:

Does a lower Mb/s have a direct impact on your daily earnings? As far as I have figured it out, the only impact should be that it takes a longer time to run through all plots and to find deadlines therefore your might miss out on short blocks correct?

You are correct that you can miss out on short blocks, and being slow also means that other miners can find and submit better shares faster than you, so you are at a disadvantage (not sure if I am explaining it properly). That is why it is best to have optimized plots too.

• @Propagandalf : thanks for this information. I'll have a look at it.

One last question though... I see the difference in Mb/s on my different computers, however what do we consider to be acceptable or good Mb/s rates in general?
    I need some kind of base rate to make a proper comparison.

Thanks all for your input!

• I do 17tb in 30sec but its a mixture usb2, usb3 and intern. Plus it an older x5550 cpu no avx. 145mb/s