Is it safe to use C14 to Schuko adapter cable from UPS outlet to 'dumb' power strip inlet?

• I have bought myself a Powerwalker UPS that only has C14 outlets on the back. UPS is connected directly to wall mains outlet. C14 to C13 is fine when I am connecting PSUs or monitors directly to the UPS, but I need to connect all my peripherals to the UPS using a 'dumb' power strip that I own (HDDS, modem, router, lamp etc.).

I have heard that you should not attach surge protected strips to a UPS as it messes with how easily the battery kicks in or something similar. I believe a PDU is what you are 'supposed' to use in a case like mine, but I am looking for the most economic solution here as I already own power strips, and since the peripherals will not be using huge amounts of power. PDUs seem to cost hundreds of dollars, and a C14 to Schuko cable costs hardly anything.

My UPS handles 1600W, and I do not intend to overload the UPS by connecting peripherals via the power strip, in case you wondered.

• @Propagandalf idk if i understood correctly what you are trying in here mate but as long as i understood you want to connect both the peripherals and PC to the UPS right? If so you can just buy one of those extensions with a lot of power plugs and replace the plug of that extension from a plug to connect to the wall into a one to connect to the UPS... It's something easy to do, i think you will even find youtube videos to do that without an issue... I had one PC connected like that for a lot of time in my old office ;D

• @gpedro said in Is it safe to use C14 to Schuko adapter cable from UPS outlet to 'dumb' power strip inlet?:

@Propagandalf idk if i understood correctly what you are trying in here mate but as long as i understood you want to connect both the peripherals and PC to the UPS right? If so you can just buy one of those extensions with a lot of power plugs and replace the plug of that extension from a plug to connect to the wall into a one to connect to the UPS... It's something easy to do, i think you will even find youtube videos to do that without an issue... I had one PC connected like that for a lot of time in my old office ;D

I think I was over-thinking the whole process. Yes, I wanted to connect peripherals to the UPS, but the UPS had C14 plugs instead of the Schuko plugs that my power strip had. I was under the impression that you maybe had to use something like this (PDU):
    0_1484773871257_upload-c9cc6d77-e549-47ac-80b6-f94570e64f43

But, turns out all I needed was one of these:
    0_1484773931540_upload-b5cf31c3-8963-44ff-b396-806093de57da

With that last cable, I was able to plug my power strips that already own into it, and the cable costs a 100th of the price of the PDU. :)

• This post is deleted!

• @Propagandalf That's what i am talking about hehe

• @Propagandalf

So the answer is "just be careful". The wiring itself will work, Schuko is typically 220V, C13 & C14 are typically 110V, if your source voltage is 220V ensure you don't plug any 110V devices into it, all devices should have a power rating input on them, select devices that read (100-240V) meaning that they can convert the entire range. I do something similar for data centers all the time where I convert L6-30 twist locks to C13. Just besure to ensure you aren't switching voltages improperly and that you NEVER exceed the load for a wire, eg: small cable is rated at 8A and you plug in a 12A device, that's a great way to over load and start a fire.

-IceBurst

• @IceBurst Thanks, I will be careful with voltages and overloading!

Looks like your connection to Burst - Efficient HDD Mining was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.