Buying A Media Machine

• alt text

You can't force the willing. 😉

Well it looks like I have hit a wall with my current computer. It all started with my wife purchasing a GoPro Hero 5 Black for my birthday. She saw that I am getting back to the outdoors and thought a GoPro would be a nice addition to my gear.

The GoPro hero 5 can capture amazing video and can go as high as 4K. Which I don't think I will be using anytime soon but you never know. The requirements for 4K or 2.7K are crazy. My current pc can't handle it. Since converting and rendering just a few files, the cpu is acting weird and I kind of broke it a little... I think

So, whatcha gonna buy?

So, lately I've been researching parts to build a new pc. I've built pc's before in my youth but nothing lately. I figure it's just like riding a bike though if I mess up it will be a pricey mistake. Here is the breakdown,

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
    CPU Intel Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $204.99 @ Newegg
    CPU Cooler Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 74.3 CFM CPU Cooler $24.99 @ Newegg
    Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste $9.99 @ Amazon
    Motherboard MSI H110M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $73.98 @ Newegg
    Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $108.04 @ Amazon
    Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ Best Buy
    Case Zalman Z1 Neo ATX Mid Tower Case $55.98 @ Newegg
    Power Supply EVGA 400W ATX Power Supply $33.98 @ Newegg
    Other Windows 10 Home $59.99
    Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
    Total $621.93
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-22 18:03 EST-0500

Notes for this build

• The bios may need to be updated since this is a newer cpu (7 gen built in 2016)
    • pcpartpicker can not verify the power supply is compatible with the tower. The measurements for both look as if they should. We'll see.
    • I've read that the cpu will come with it's own stock fan. If it does then, I think I'll remove the cpu fan from the this list.
    • There are places selling Windows 10 for as low as $39.99 so I'll save there.
    • Some of items that are needed to build a new pc have been left out. I plan on dissecting my existing pc and adding it to the newer one.

THE GOAL OF THIS PC

alt text

The goal of this rig is to create a media machine for Burst, GoPro videos for Youtube, and to edit my photos. I left out a dedicated video card because I don't plan to play games with this rig and the Intel HD Graphics 630 will do great for what I need it to do. If I do need one, I have a relative who said he will give me one of his gaming cards if needed.

I also didn't add extra hdd for mining for a reason. I know this might be blasphemy to some but the goal is to create media for Burst using this rig. I'm being limited to what I can currently do and it's frustrating me. Plus, my cpu screams when ever I do something and I feel it's starting to feel it's age. Like I said earlier, I think kind of broker it a little. Getting the GoPro was the tipping point and now is the time to get an upgrade. At least that is the idea I have sold to myself. 🙂

Well that's my goal. Please let me know what you think. Any feedback would be great.

• Banned

Sounds like a very nice build that will keep you going for a while.

• @Focus Thank you, that's the plan. 🙂

• I'd go with a SSD for the OS, and keep that blue as a data drive, would speed the thing up BIGTIME, and would only cost you an extra 30 bucks or so, IMO definitely worth it.

for 60 you could get a 256, and I would definitely recommend that if you're going to be using it for a daily use machine, I have one that still has a 128 in it, and windows is crap so it got so large that it now needs to be cloned over to a 256.

But an SSD is absolutely essential IMO.

If interested, hit me up and I'll sell ya one for BURST 🙂

• thank you @crowetic, I'll definitely take your advise regarding the SSD. I thought about getting one but figured I would wait.

haha if I had a lot of Burst I would buy one from you. All my Burst has gone to assets atm.

• @socalguy Pay little extra and get i7 6700k (overclocking very helpful during rendering but you need decent CPU cooling with it and for sure higher than 400w PSU) and invest in those M.2-NVME drives instead of traditional HardDrives (6GB compared to 40GB).
    If budget allows, I can send you some specs for media machine build.

• @rnahlawi If I had an extra 500 to spend on this machine I would go up to an 6700 i7 and also add those sweet M.2-NVME drives. Maybe I'll win the lottery soon haha

• @socalguy Those multimedia machines are equal or even higher in specs than Gaming rigs sometimes, especially if you're working with 3D.
    Just try to get something which you can upgrade later without remorse and with minimum upgrade budget so you don't end up with normal PC.

• @rnahlawi Your'e making me nervous. lol

• admin

@socalguy For video transcoding, I'd look at putting the video data on an SSD - keep the OS and bulk data on the HDD, use the SSD for transcoding and swap. The NVMe drives are incredible.

• @haitch I ended up not buying the hhd and instead went with the ssd. I forgot I still have the hhd form the original computer to plug in and use for storage.

• This stuff is better than AS5: Noctua NT-H1 Thermal Compound
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8R64SM2123

• @sevencardz If I get weird thermal readings I'll be sure and reapply with this.