Maintenance tips for your hard drives and plots Earthlings!

• Greetings everyone the hard drive gods have decended upon you with offerings of fortune and wisdom!
    Just to help you down the road to success I have a few tools for you to maintain peak efficiency that I will not need to share links to but you can google them.

Firstly, if you find your miner is starting or well into slowing down it might be time to optimise with the burst optimiser available on this forum.
    If you cannot find time to opimise with the plot optimiser you should be able to increase your miners memory buffer up to 1 gigabyte which will help speed up a little so you can plan when to optimise. Generally you can take of plots off a multi plot mining operation (per drive basis) to optimise them and then reintroduce them back to your plot collection.

Whats the biggest problem when plotting? well if your not using xplotter then the answer is: FRAGMENTATION!
    YES THATS RIGHT! when you plot to a drive it can be fragmented and slow down.
    unless of course you use a native linux partition.
    Windows has a built in defragmenter but a faster one called puran defrag can defrag it for you.
    To speed up to a contiguous plot and you have another hard drive that your plot can fit into a handy freeware tool called FastCopy has a customiseable cache to it. Simply put as much free ram into it as you can and then transfer the plot from drive to drive will end in a perfectly contiguous plot. Much faster than defragging especially an external drive; which are slower to plot and defrag.
    Every quartly year, it is a good idea to refresh your drives magnetic surface. There is a tool on the same puran website as the above mentioned defragmenter that does the job nicely within a windows schedule that is fully automatic and doesnt affect mining efficiency. Basically it maintains and strenghens your drives magnetic pickup of written data to allow faster reading.

Advanced Tip: There is a feature set in your computers hardware configuration accessible on power on. It is called the system BIOS (Basic Input Ooutput System) Within there are certain menus of hardware configuration. It is safe to look at but if you see ANY feature called "spread spectrum" please switch it off. It is used to suppress E.M.I emmissions but also can seriously hamper efficiency in mining / plotting operations. Switch it off and if any problems arise from your surrounding electronics you can switch it back on. NOT RECOMMENDED FOR PERSONS USING MEDICAL OR PACEMAKER TECHNOLOGIES.

the included CPU/AVX miner can cache up to 1 gigabyte of read plot for the cpu this can be adjusted from its default to a more optimised size for faster cpu's. Personally I just leave it to 1 gb 😆

Live long and prosper and may the burst be with you!

• Pin this please this was a fantastic read

@someone give this man some cookies!

• @ZapbuzZ,

I played around with the cache size on the Blago CPU miner awhile back. I saw no significant difference in read times unless the cache was squashed towards zero. Super large caches actually resulted in slightly longer scan times. I ended up resetting back to the default value, 100,000 IIRC.

• @rds i used the non avx version. I also used the larger buffer when my plot started to really grind down to 1/3 its usual speed. I eventually used the plot optimiser. But the larger buffer kept the cpu fed its maximum for many weeks faster. I assume you had new plots? i found that having SATA3 drives plugged into SATA 2 or 1 motherboards/controllers can be a bottleneck.

• @ZapbuzZ,

I was using avx, and all my drives are on USB 3.0 through ganged hubs.

• @rds i'd be very helpful if you could share with me, some photos of your equipment setup that I may be able to offer suggestions. It may cost some money, however, but first thing that comes to my mind is lots of hubs less throughput. But before i explain further i need to see what you use. I don't mind private messages of your photos if its possible. (your pc including the motherboard, connections to hubs)

• Oh windows users: you can configure internal hard disks to join together to make 1 massive disk out of smaller disks for example 4 x 4gb = 1 x 16 gb disk. the method is called volume spanning and is available with disk management through administrative tools;, and doesn't matter what size or speed your disks are/ this is useful to conserve drive letters and to plot some very huge plots meaning less plot names to process. windows 10's control panel has a function called storage spaces that can even add external drives. i have a 7200rpm 3TB internal and a 4GB 4200rpm disk spanned together no problems and I can later add more whenever I want to.

• @ZapbuzZ said in Maintenance tips for your hard drives and plots Earthlings!:

Oh windows users: you can configure internal hard disks to join together to make 1 massive disk out of smaller disks for example 4 x 4gb = 1 x 16 gb disk. the method is called volume spanning and is available with disk management through administrative tools;, and doesn't matter what size or speed your disks are/ this is useful to conserve drive letters and to plot some very huge plots meaning less plot names to process. windows 10's control panel has a function called storage spaces that can even add external drives. i have a 7200rpm 3TB internal and a 4GB 4200rpm disk spanned together no problems and I can later add more whenever I want to.

There is just one problem with this I believe, and that is if one of your disks dies that is spanned together with the others, I think the whole spanned volume is corrupted, but I am not sure. You can use disk manager to delete volume, then create a new simple volume in an empty folder on C for example. Then each volume is tied to one disk, and you can have as many as you like.

• @ZapbuzZ said in Maintenance tips for your hard drives and plots Earthlings!:

@rds i'd be very helpful if you could share with me, some photos of your equipment setup that I may be able to offer suggestions. It may cost some money, however, but first thing that comes to my mind is lots of hubs less throughput. But before i explain further i need to see what you use. I don't mind private messages of your photos if its possible. (your pc including the motherboard, connections to hubs)

My throughput is 220 MB/s. My scans are done in about 60 seconds.

• 🙂

• thats a good speed though and would match a high en gpu/cpu too @rds

• the miners in the wallet application can be manually tweaked. The best way to do that is to copy the miner of choice (after it has been setup through the app) and launched from the miner itself as the app (wallet AIO) overwrites the miners config within the app. Biago's miner has switches that the AIO wallet doesn't tweak.