Mining equipment

• Hi All,

I have been a big fan of Burst for 4 months ( I know its not a long time) and I would like to commit approx. 4000$ for building a mining rig.
    So I would appreciate for some hardware suggestions for all parts HDDs, mother board, ram, proc,....
    Thank you for all the replays 🙂

Keep the burst flowing!

• Banned

What country are you in?

• Slovenia
    Europe
    ☺

• Banned

There are a few guys on here from europe and such , they will be better to help you finding good prices.

• @Lorby The best thing to do as we cannot see the prices from your country, is for you to make a list of the things you will need with prices. We can then suggest the best option for you.
    What size rig in TB do you intend/wish to build?
    Is it just Burst mining or mining other alt-coins also?

• You can write the hardware from US/Canada/.... market. Then I can try to find the equivalent hardware here in EU. And yes @iKnow0 youst burst mining!

• Well you really just need to make sure your motherboard has a bunch of SATA or USB 3.0 ports and pair that with a bunch of disk docks, I'd say at least an Intel i7 or equivalent AMD CPU and min of 12GB RAM and the type of GPU depends on what type of plotting you will be doing obviously if you will be GPU plotting you will need a good GPU but if not then any GPU will do fine.

Xplotter utilizes CPU/RAM to plot, auto-optimizes and is user friendly

While GPUPlotter utilizes your GPU requires much more specialized configuring but plots faster (supposedly, I have not tried GPUplotter since I have a laptop with a mobile GPU not a full sized GPU)

So really it's up to what you are trying to do with your rig but for mining BURST you biggest expense will be Hard drives, and I suggest no higher than 5TB because right now the 8TB drives are SMR drives which cause plotting and mining issues.

• @socal ,

In my experience, the Blago miner is CPU intensive but uses minimal memory. Xplotter is also CPU intensive and can use as little as 1GB of RAM and will run as fast as allocating 8GB of RAM. So IMO, RAM is not an issue, a good CPU is.

• Yes the CPU will always be the bottleneck but to facilitate writing having a large amount of RAM available helps when plotting

• Thanks for all the replays I think I will plot with Xplotter like I did till now.
    Also I did not know that disks above 5TB are SMR drives.

My experience for now is that when I plotted a 5TB drive ( Seagate Expansion 5TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0) the bottleneck was the drive. I used Xplotter with i5-4670 CPU and 9GB of RAM (total RAM 16GB) and the writing on the drive was slower than the calculation from the CPU. I had all the necessary settings (run as admin,
    NTSF, write caching enabled,...). Total time to plot was about 5 days....
    The read speed when mining is ok at 19.1 sec.

• @Lorby said in Mining equipment:

Thanks for all the replays I think I will plot with Xplotter like I did till now.
    Also I did not know that disks above 5TB are SMR drives.

My experience for now is that when I plotted a 5TB drive ( Seagate Expansion 5TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0) the bottleneck was the drive. I used Xplotter with i5-4670 CPU and 9GB of RAM (total RAM 16GB) and the writing on the drive was slower than the calculation from the CPU. I had all the necessary settings (run as admin,
    NTSF, write caching enabled,...). Total time to plot was about 5 days....
    The read speed when mining is ok at 19.1 sec.

That's why I said you don't need a lot of RAM. You could have plotted that drive with 1GB and you would have done it in the same time. The calculation is faster than the write speeds.

• @rds So the time to plot 5TB is expected at approx. 5 days via USB 3.0?
    Or is there a faster way to plot?

• @Lorby said in Mining equipment:

@rds So the time to plot 5TB is expected at approx. 5 days via USB 3.0?
    Or is there a faster way to plot?

I have only used the Xplotter (CPU plot). I think there are other apps that use GPU, supposedly much higher speeds. I never looked into it.

From my experience (70 TB of plots):

The Xplotter generates nonces. The speed of that generation is directly proportional to CPU speed and # of threads. Inversely proportional to other program CPU load on the machine.

For instance, if you are mining on the same machine, the nonce/min will reduce each time a block is being scanned. Then when it is complete the nonces/min will return to the max.

I usually run 3 threads for 3200 nonces/min. If I run 4 threads, I get 3900, but it puts a strain on the CPU time for other applications. So basically, I get 1000 nonces/min/thread. Not fast by other people's accounts of there $4000 mining rigs but I'm using a $325 laptop with one USB 3.0 port and powered hubs.

The amount of memory you allocate to the generation of a block of nonces determines how big the the data block to be written to the disk.

If the write to disk can't keep up with the nonce calculation (the command line font turns gray) then the program has to wait and the "effective" nonce/min is reduced.

If your program has to wait for the write to disk then any RAM allocation that will fix this should be employed. In my case, using 1GB or 10GB always results in the calculator waiting, so I use 1G to free up extra RAM for other programs. Using 1GB RAM is just as fast as 10GB RAM as the disk write is the limiting factor.

With 3 threads and 1GB RAM, my write block is 1536 nonces.
    Besides the RAM freeup, I also like the small block as if you shut down your plotter before a block is complete, you lose that block on restart. So I only lose 1536 (~30 seconds) on a restart instead of 20480 ( 6.5 minutes) nonces with 10GB and 4 threads.

The block write bottleneck is a problem I have, not because USB 3.0 cannot support the speed but because for some reason my write to disk starts off high but half way through a block write slows way down. I have posted this observation on another thread.

So to summarize, for a 5tB drive, that's a little over 19 million nonces.

At 3200 nonces/min, it's gonna take 4 days to plot that drive, best case.

If your 3200 dips while mining, or gaming or your disk write can't keep up, 4 days creeps to 5+ days.

I don't obsess so much that it takes a long time to plot a drive. What I do is run a bat file that plots 37, 100GB files for a 4tB drive in the background while my laptop is mining. As each file completes, it is added to the farm. So instead of waiting for 5+ days to put a drive into service, it is sequentially added as each file completes.

Hope this helps, your mileage may vary.

• @rds Thank you for your in dept explanation on how you plot drives.

Yes the main slowdown is writing to disk. I get 8000 nonce's/min speed when the drive is written 20% for one "thread" the CPU is done whit the calculation then the fond turns gray and the CPU has to wait for the writing to stop. So yes I have the same problem as you the disk write speed is to low....
    Also for the first three thread it writs weary fast then the speed drops down....