Plotting and slow write speeds

• I just bought a seagate expansion 5tb desktop usb 3.0 hard drive. The first day the write speeds were at 170-200MB/s, but i messed up the pot and had to start again. Now the write speeds are at 2MB/s.

I am using xplotter, this is what my .bat looks like
    @setlocal
    @cd /d %~dp0
    XPlotter_avx.exe -id 5813166680930009438 -sn 0 -n 0 -t 6 -path A:\plots -mem 8G
    @pause

my rig is i7 7700k with 16gb ram

Any help please

• @Gunner101 Change drive letter of your HD to anything except A,B and C

• xplotter slows down because the writing space is reserved. When it is reserved to write your hard drives filesystem cannot resize its clusters to maitain high speed. Be patient and the read speed of your completed plot will make it worth the wait.

• also, search this topic : " Shingled magnetic recording (SMR) " , you will learn a lot about your (most likely ) SMR drive...they are just slow to write to.

• Thanks for all the info guys. Speeds have gone up a little 12MB/s now and I'll check out SMR

• I have the 2,5" version of this drive and I can confirm they are not good for plotting.
    If you have space free on an another drive, consider plotting to this drive then copy the plots over to the SMR drive.

• @thomeefl69 said in Plotting and slow write speeds:

also, search this topic : " Shingled magnetic recording (SMR) " , you will learn a lot about your (most likely ) SMR drive...they are just slow to write to.

Don't think SMR is the issue. I can write to my SMR drives with a utility like HD tune, at 125 MB/s. The plotter never approaches those speeds, regardless of any other programs hogging drive bandwidth or not.

• admin

@rds SMR is not a problem if you're writing sequentially, but xplotter doesn't write sequentially, so each time it writes, it first has to read the adjacent blocks, so it can rewrite them - slows down plotting performance horribly, but is not a problem when mining.

• @haitch said in Plotting and slow write speeds:

@rds SMR is not a problem if you're writing sequentially, but xplotter doesn't write sequentially, so each time it writes, it first has to read the adjacent blocks, so it can rewrite them - slows down plotting performance horribly, but is not a problem when mining.

Pretty sure the HD tune benchmark does the same thing. 125 MB/sec.

• admin

@rds I've plotted 8 of these drives - they start out okay, then get slower and slower.

• Hi. any found a solution for this?
    I am sure that think with SMR drive have nothing to do with. i have a segate usb 2TB have exacly same problem. Is working grate first 1-5% after start to slow down relay bad. after reading few posts about this i tought is normal and is because the hdd. i belive that until i had to open the drive and use it on sata. when i start to plot again surprise my 2-10Mb/s drive was working with 150 like a normal drive.

• admin

@dinablaster If it's an SMT drive it's going to be horribly slow.