What is the Cloud Mining Limiting Factor

• Hi, may I know if the read speed is bottlenecked by my connection speed? Reading some topics it might seem like it, but I have 300mbit up/down connection and when I check task manager, it occasionally bursts to 100mbps and then drops to 0 bps and ramps up again. I have around 2TB on my Google Drive now (I have unlimited storage) and the 6 minute+ read speeds are really annoying. I hope to get at least 20TB of plots on Google Drive but looking at the read speeds I am not going to be able to make it.

• I think the problem is that when you mine the plot has to be downloaded while your miner is reading it, so you have to download the whole 2tb plot and read it (the read stuff gets deleted afterwards to give new space for the whole plot). So actually its not your reading speed that counts anymore, its your/ your cloudservices download speed. I think every major cloud service has a download speed maximum. Thats the whole problem!

The only way to overcome this is to connect the drives directly to the computer youre mining with. Thatd be a vps with some tb of storage but its inefficient and you will pay more than youll recieve!

• Are you sure I will have to download the whole plot? I think it is just the scoops for the 2TB because I have speeds of ~100mbps for half a second for each 50gb plot and obviously it cannot be downloaded that fast.

• admin

@JamesAdams It downloads just the needed scoops - so 1/4096 of the whole plot.

• @JamesAdams Ah turns out I was wrong, haitch clarified it. So turns out you "only" have to download 488 mb, but the problem is that google drive probably (as every other major cloud service) gives speed caps so youre probably downloading with 1mb/s-3mb/s speed.

• there's a few posts around that give a huge amount of detail seems like the feasibility isn't there i think at the moment, bandwidth bottlenecks read times

• @theoneandonely

RE: Plotting and Mining on Amazon Cloud Drive
    @machasm its 1/4096 th of the file size = 0.000244140625
    30TB = 30000GB
    30000GB * 0.000244140625 = 7.32421875 GB
    to see how long it would take to download will depend on your max download speed.

example 100Mb (Megabit) internet connection
    100 Mb / 8 = 12.5 MB ( Megabytes per second )
    12.5 MB /1000 = 0.0125 GB (GigaBytes per second)
    7.324 GB / 0.0125 GB = 585.92 seconds = 9.72 Min
    POSTED IN MINING & PLOTTING

• Seems like it is just about feasible for relatively small plots (3TB or so (who would of thought we would be saying small for that size a couple of years ago!)) if your connection speed is fast enough.
    You will need to download 1/4096th of the total capacity on each read.

• @machasm before Burst, I couldnĀ“t imagine how to fill 1TB with data xD

• Thanks for all the replies. Since I have 350mbit up/down connection ideally (at 300mbps) I will take around 195 seconds to read 30TB of plots. So now I have a rough estimation of where to stop. Thanks for all your help

• @machasm said in What is the Cloud Mining Limiting Factor:

Seems like it is just about feasible for relatively small plots (3TB or so (who would of thought we would be saying small for that size a couple of years ago!)) if your connection speed is fast enough.
    You will need to download 1/4096th of the total capacity on each read.

no kidding lol .... i still have an old box of IDE CDrom's , a few 3.5 floppy drives might even have one of the BIG floppy drives in there and prob around 15 or 20 HDD's all around 10g - 20g lol most of them prob have win 98 still installed on them i can remember dreaming of geting a full 1TB drive seeing them in PC mag's thining if i had one i could just download the whole internet lol

• @iKnow0 Well actually he has 2000 gigabyte right now which means
    2000/4096 = 0.48828125 GB.
    So we take 488 megabytes and you have to calculate that google limits your download speed otherwise their servers would have huge problems beeing kept alive if so many people download at such a high speed. So I think Google allows downloading at around 1 mb/s to 3mb/s
    so that means either:
    488/1 = 488 seconds /60 = 8.13 minutes
    488/3 = 162 seconds/60 = 2.7 minutes

Thats how I calculated it.

• Google Drive has great bandwidth, I maxed out my 350mbit connection when uploading plots, so could NetDrive download speed be a bottleneck instead?