CPU vs. GPU for 7 drives / 19TB

• hello it's a pleasure to join this great community. By way of introduction I am the press officer for a UK based crypto called Britcoin.

I recently started mining Burst. I am about to ramp up to a total of 7 drives with a combined capacity of just under 19TB, racked inside an old tower of mine which has an Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge @ 3.50GHz, 32gb of 1333 ram and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti GPU. I will not be expanding this set-up in the forseeable future.

My question is would I be better off mining with the CPU or GPU - or even running different miners on both over different drives if that is possible! I don't game or have much need of the GPU's bandwidth, the same goes for the CPU although I do use the computer for day to day work.

Thanks in advance and anybody willing to try out a Britcoin wallet should contact me for a fistful of free Brits. AtB, AtP

• admin

@ArthurThePug I hope you meant to say 32GB rather than 32MB of RAM!

As for which is best - test it. I've miners that do better with CPU than GPU despite seemingly superior GPU performance, and GPU miners that do the opposite. The only way to know for sure is to test it yourself. Mine a few rounds with the CPU, then a few rounds with GPU - then compare average mining time.

• @haitch TYVM - OK your sound advice to avoid being lazy will get me to to try them both out, so far having compared my current 3 drive/9TB setup they seem pretty similar although the CPU .exe is a lot more fun to read ;)

Is running them both on different drives out of the question?

P>S edited my ram!

• admin

@ArthurThePug Yes, you can can run some drive on CPU and others on GPU - in fact, on one of my systems I run both on all the drives! The CPU miner is faster, but occasionally locks up - when it does the GPU covers the otherwise downtime until I can restart the CPU miner.

• @haitch wowser. TYVM

• @haitch said in CPU vs. GPU for 7 drives / 19TB:

@ArthurThePug Yes, you can can run some drive on CPU and others on GPU - in fact, on one of my systems I run both on all the drives! The CPU miner is faster, but occasionally locks up - when it does the GPU covers the otherwise downtime until I can restart the CPU miner.

That's cool that we can run both on the same drive. I didn't know that.