Mining with Linux and more than one HDD. For each HDD an new instance of the mining programm ?

• Do i need to start for each HDD an instance of the mining program. For example i want to use 10 HDD. Do I need to start (under Linux) for each HDD an instance of the mining program ? So with 10 HDD should i start 10 x the mining programm ? Or can i set in the config the storage paths of the plots for each HDD and then start the mining programm only one time without another instance so that i use only one instance ?

Thank you for answering !! 🙂

• heck i wish i could get mine going with linux! working it out now

• @BurnMe You can run 1 (one) miner instance for all hard drives, set the drives in the miner config file and launch it.
    @falconCoin Where are you stuck?

• @rnahlawi i was following a tutorial on youtube

i wish there was a simpler way of doing it , but i did a fresh install of linux so i could have put java in the wrong place you name it.. i forgot the error i go let me try again and post it

• @falconCoin I posted the steps somewhere, Will search and post them again .. Anyway, Ubuntu, Java, wallet, plotter and miner are straight forward. The trick is with the video driver, once you got the Cuda/AMD SDK in place, operation is easy.

• @rnahlawi sweet post it i have a bunch of old lapops laying around to toss linux on

• @falconCoin

Hi, i'm using the mint debian Betsy Linux, it works very fine. But just now i'm not mining, still ploting and optimising the plots. So i have to test starting the mining in the next day. But i can tell you some tips for installing on linux.

Follow the how to for installing the wallet under Linux. It's postet where you can download the wallet for linux. Downloading the blockchain has been done (for me) in 7 hours.

I am using the dcct-gui.
    Here I got the first problem thats the command of lxterm wasn't found and during installing of xterm an laxterm dependeces i got always an error message. My mistake was, that i didn't installed lxterm und xterm as admin, with admin there are no errors and after xterm/lxterm installation the dcc-t gui is working fine.

The dcct-gui uses CPU plotting but i think with a modern CPU ploting is fast enough (i tried GPU plotting but on Linux it doesn't worked for me and, so im using my CPU. To make a plot of 4 TB i need 22 hours, then optimizing need some time again but actually i don't know the exact time it takes several hours again.

In Windows you can use xplotter to make optimized plots in one step without the need for extra optimizing (im not sure if this works but you can read about it).

With Linux its a bit more complicated to start than in Windows but i like the Linux filesystem, the stability and no stress with updating, virus etc., it doesn't take so much resources and its free. The Debian Linux seems to be very stable…

• @BurnMe

I'm trying the dcct-gui but when I try to mine I get this error

xterm: Can't execvp dcct-mine: No such file or directory

Can you help?

Thanks

• admin

• @scprv55

Actually i'm struggeling on running CreepMiner. I think i will try jminer too.

I am only using dcct for ploting in Linux. But mining seems to be good with CreepMiner or jminer. Actually im struggeling with CreepMiner. Its a very godd software but i can't get it run stable but i'm thinking the miner itself isn't the problem. I'm still on troubleshooting. But overall when you get the CreepMiner running, then i would prefer this on Linux. And you can connect the developer over github and tell issues or wishes for the next version. Creepsky is still working on to improve the CreepMiner.

• @BurnMe

Creepminer seems to be working fine for me, but I have a problem understanding the settings for doing plots.

Specifically what do I use as settings when I want to make a new plot for a new drive?

These were the settings I used for my first test plot

./plot -k 10747524060435184832 -x 2 -d /media/sean/2TB/plots -s 0 -n 2048000 -m 4096 -t 3

Using original algorithm.
    Creating plots for nonces 0 to 2048000 (537 GB) using 1024 MB memory and 3 threads

If I now want to plot another drive (950 GB) what should I change? Below is the same config but with the new drive path, I just don't understand what I should put for -s & -n for the next drive.

./plot -k 10747524060435184832 -x 2 -d /media/sean/5623-92A3/plots -s 0 -n 2048000 -m 4096 -t 3

Thanks for your help!

• @scprv55

Hi,

i think you have to make it more easy for you.

/plot -k 10747524060435184832 -x 2 -d /media/sean/5623-92A3/plots -s 0 -n 2048000 -m 4096 -t 3
    ./plot -k 10747524060435184832 -x 2 -d /media/sean/2TB/plots -s 0 -n 2048000 -m 4096 -t 3

I'm only using the dcct plotter for creating plots. Therefore you can use trial and error with the dcct-gui plotter. Then you have an grafic user interface for those people like us who want to make it easy. With the gui you can easily set the startnonc the RAM used the file size and how much threads should be used.

But the most important thing is that you don't use the same startnonces because of nonces overlapping. so it looks on the top like you are using the same nonces. I can't understand the command line commands i never used them. Im still using the gui. But i can tell you the basic things so you can translate this in a cli command (or you are using the dcct-gui).

For the nonces you can read the how to for setting up the wallet. It is a good explanation you can see in the donwload wallet section on burstcoin homepage where you can download the wallet.

Here is a sample for you how to configure the right plot startnonce in Linux (i thinks this is working):

Plot 1 Startnonce 0 filesize in bytes 3.758.096.384.000 plot nonces 14.336.000 endnonce14.336.000
    Plot 2 Startnonce 14.336.001 filesize in bytes 3.758.096.384.000 plot nonces 14.336.000 endnonce 28.672.001
    Plot 3 Startnonce 28.672.002 filesize in bytes 8.001.194.819.584 plot nonces 30.522.136 endnonce 59.194.138
    Plot 4 Startnonce 59.194.139 8.001.194.819.584 30.522.136 89.716.275

I am using the dcct-gui for plotting with the settings i want to. In the dcct you can see how many nonces you are creating. The dcct-gui adjust the filesize dependig on how much RAM you are admitting. It is easier when the plotfilesize can be divided through the RAM size, then there is no adjusting and you exactly know the plotfile size. The created nonce are displayed in the terminal of the gui too :). then you don't need to make your own calculations.

Then you have to add Startnonce to Plotnonce and you have the hypothetic Endnonce then you have to add 1 and you get right start nonce for the next one. If you are missing the amount of noncex you can calculate it by checking the filesize in bytes with your filemanager. Then divide the filesize in bytes with 1024 and then with 256 and you get the number of nonces. F.e. 3.758.096.384.000 / 1024 / 256 = 14.336.000

here is the short version for you:

Startnonce Plot 2 = Startnonce Plot 1 + Nonces Plot 1 + 1 (= 0 + 14.336.000 + 1 = 14.336.001)

(as you can the startonce for Plot 1 was 0, it has a size of 14.336.000 nonces

then the claculation for Plot 3

Startnonce Plot 3 = Startnonce Plot 2 + Nonces Plot 2 + 1 (=14.336.001 + 14.336.000 + 1=28.672.002)

and so on. The best Solutino if you are planing a lot of plots on a lot of HDD to make and Excel file and then add the serial number of your HD behind the plots you are using. then if your HDD blows up you can easly see what plotfile has to create again. And you can use the excel file for calculating. So first a little more work but then for the rest of your life easy nonce calculating. Online there are some nonce calculator but its mor secure and even easiert to set up your own Excel calculation or Open Office Calc.

So im glad the CreepMiner is workig for you, please tell which Linux Version you are running then i could try with your setting and know which Linux is good working.

• @BurnMe it would be a good test to run the jminer (luxe did a very good job, very fast and stable miner) with your wallet problem.
    If you actually can solo mine with the jminer but not with the creepminer, this would be a sign for me that the creepminer needs a fix 🙂
    Please tell me if it works.

• @Creepsky45 Ok i will try the jminer. But i will need some time for installing. Actually i don't know how to install so i need some time to find the way. Actually im downloading the blockchain after set up a new Linux installation, its very slow so i can't speed it up.

• @BurnMe

Thank you for the excellent advice re: plotting.

Your suggestion to use a spreadsheet is very clever, I will do that using Google Sheets.

I spent (wasted) the last few days trying to plot a 1TB drive. It would get to 4.3GB then stop. This morning I decided to try plotting more space on my 2TB drive and that went smoothly, so I thought maybe there is something wrong with the 1TB drive.

Turns out plotting works on NTFS formatted drives but will not work on FAT formatted drives. So I need to reformat the 1TB to NTFS first.

I am using Linux Mint Cinnamon 64bit.

Cheers

• @scprv55

ok scprv but why are you using ntfs with Linux ? Ext.4 or btrfs should be better with Linux.

You said you are using Mintlinux Cinnamon , which version 18.1 ? or older ?

• admin

@BurnMe said in Mining with Linux and more than one HDD. For each HDD an new instance of the mining programm ?:

Actually im downloading the blockchain after set up a new Linux installation, its very slow so i can't speed it up.

Have you tried: https://forums.burst-team.us/topic/751/howto-use-opencl-gpu-for-accelerated-snyc-with-blockchain ?

• @luxe
    hin i downloaded the blockchain zip. So the sync goes faster for me . Now made a backup of my blockchain. SO when crashing or o new install for testing the blockchain gets in sync fast. But thanks for your replay, will look at this options for faster block sync.

• @BurnMe

I'm not sure why the drive is NTFS, I think maybe because once upon a time it needed to work with a windows machine (external drive)

I'm running the latest version of Mint so I guess that is 18.1

I've plotted 1.18 TB and I'm trying to mine on burstneon but I'm still not sure it is working.....

Kind of frustrating, but I guess eventually I'll get it.

Couple of questions....

once my miner is running can I close my web based wallet https://wallet.burst-team.us:8125/index.html ??

Also can I close the pool website http://burstneon.ddns.net/ ??

Or do I have to keep those windows open all the time?

So much of this stuff is just not made clear and the documentation is really vague.

• admin

@scprv55 yes you can close the other windows, the miner does not require them.