How to not get your wallet hacked + Setting up your wallet correctly.

• Creating a wallet securely

• Create a new wallet by selecting New user. (Start off using the Online Wallet client or selecting an online wallet w/HTTPS for a secure environment.) (If you have the time and resources, try hosting a wallet on your computer. If you can't, use the Online Wallet for only plotting and mining and access your wallet via locally or a wallet with HTTPS protocol.)

Write down your passphrase or copy it and paste it on a text document (not recommended).

• I like to have it saved on my computer on a .txt file in C:/Windows/System32 while naming it something random.
    • Make sure to turn off line wrap!
    • Since I have an android, I also save my passphrase on it incase something happens to my computer.
      DO NOT GIVE ANYONE YOUR PASSPHRASE PERIOD.

Login to your wallet by c+p'ing your passphrase. Make sure your clipboard is clear of the passphrase (type in some random junk and copy it to clear the clipboard of your passphrase.)

Verifying your wallet
    Find a WORKING faucet from any site.
    To tell if it is working;

• Make sure it has a balance of 15+ BURST. If there is 0 Burst or so, it will not be able to send Burst. That's how a faucet works.

List of working faucets AFAIK
    5/10/2017 - http://faucet.burstcoin.info/ <- unlimited use but 48 hr wait per use + most popular faucet
    5/10/2017 - http://burstcoin.biz/faucet <- 1 time only faucet + gives 1~2 burst
    Use the 2 faucets until you get at least 2+ Burst.
    (c+p your Burst address into the box, complete the captcha and you will receive your Burst.)
    There are more obviously that work, don't know all of them though. Most will start with faucet.faucetnamegoeshere.whatever

• 2* burst is enough to get started. I will explain how.

Go to your Burst wallet.
    Above your Wallet address, hit that box that will say something idk I forgot :/
    Type in an account name to create an account name which will cost 1 burst. This is where the faucet comes in place.
    Wait until at least 2 users have verified the transaction.
    To test if your wallet works and is verified, set your reward assignment to the pool you are going to mine on. Will cost you 1 extra burst. That is where the 2 faucets come in.

Setting your reward assignment
    This is very important if you are planning to mine Burst otherwise your payouts will go nowhere.

The last two boxes is where you are going for.
    In the first box; c+p your passphrase there.
    In the second box; c+p the pool's Burst address there on the pool you are going to mine on.
    If all is done correctly, you might see about 7~8 lines of code. If not; check the error codes to see what is causing it and the possible solutions.
    If you are getting an error which says you already set your reward assignment; you must wait 4 blocks (equals about 16~18 minutes.). Then try again.

You are now set up to mine and receive transactions.

DO NOT CREATE A NEW WALLET AND SEND YOUR 1 BURST TO THAT WALLET

• I've made that mistake of thinking I can create a random wallet and send 1 burst to that wallet. It does NOT activate your wallet nor will it count. Just simply use the method of creating an alias up there, that will most likely work.
    • Aliases and an account name are two different things, kinda mixed that up.

Fixes/Suggestions:
    @haitch thanks

@p0int_scale Good write up, but a couple of corrections:

If you're saving your passphrase in Notepad, make sure there is no line wrap - that will create a different pass phrase.

You need 2 Burst to get started - 1 for the name change, 1 for pool assignment.

For setting the account name, you're setting an Account Name, not an alias. Click on the the "No Name Set" and enter a name - this will associate a name for for your account, and will cost 1 Burst. Aliases are something different.

local wallet will be: http://localhost:8125/rewardassignment.html

For the online wallet, leave off the :8128 - the load balancer will take you to an active online wallet.

A successful reward assignment will result in 7-8 lines of code - a failed one will have a specific error, post it here.

@ZapbuzZ thanks

its just too bad i can't get into my lost account even for the assets.
    If hard drive crashes thats it.
    My advice is back it up on a thumb drive in a password protected archive and hide it where only the owner knows where. In the basement, attic, or even a fake rock in the garden.

• admin

@p0int_scale Good write up, but a couple of corrections:

• If you're saving your passphrase in Notepad, make sure there is no line wrap - that will create a different pass phrase.

• Don't set a user name yet

• You only need 1Burst to get started, 1 for pool assignment. Do the name change with your first earnings.

• local wallet will be: http://localhost:8125/rewardassignment.html

• For the online wallet, leave off the :8128 - the load balancer will take you to an active online wallet.

• A successful reward assignment will result in 7-8 lines of code - a failed one will have a specific error, post it here.

• For setting the account name, you're setting an Account Name, not an alias. Click on the the "No Name Set" and enter a name - this will associate a name for your account, and will cost 1 Burst. Aliases are something different.

• its just too bad i can't get into my lost account even for the assets.
    If hard drive crashes thats it.
    My advice is back it up on a thumb drive in a password protected archive and hide it where only the owner knows where. In the basement, attic, or even a fake rock in the garden.