Is there anyway that we can rent out our Harddrive space while mining?

• Is there anyway that we can rent out our Harddrive space while mining? Even if we do a Fork? Siacoin market mix with Burst Mining?

• I mine burst and storj shares its about the same as sia. I even have one half burst half storj and it hasnt had any issues.

• Im not talking about splitting up your capacity to different coins. All in one project. Cloud industry reported that the rev was 200 Billion dollars last year.

• I dont understand can you explain in detail

• @tross is there a way to start a project with Proof of Capacity and rent out the space on the same HDD. Example..

Mine coins with a hard drive at the same time rent out the same hard drive. Thats a rough draft.. Take out the Free Cloud Market from Siacoin project and put it on top of Proof of Capacity. That way the HDD miners can also rent out their HDD space.

• The reason why I'm only talking about Siacoin and not Storjx is because Siacoin uses Plot files as well as Burst and If there is a way to combined the code.

• @Wolf I'm not fully understanding what you mean.

You want to have an 8TB hard drive dedicated to mining Burst and at the same time renting the space that you are already using so others can sink other currencies ???

That would be fine;)

Neither the code nor the protocol of the coins is the same, it would be like wanting to mine both bitcoin and litecoin at the same time with the same GPU

• @Energy You Guys lol. Im not talking about sinking other currencies. Im talking about making Burst a market place to sale your HDD storage or maybe change the code to fit that function while Keeping the Proof of Capacity mining protocol

• While I'm mining Burst I want to be able to rent out the same HDD that I'm mining with. In the same platform.

• OK think of this....

This is only an example...

Siacoin + Proof of Capacity

• That would be impossible either mine or rent but not both. A plot file fills every 256kb of a hdd so there is no space left over. So how can you rent a full hdd?

• @tross said in Is there anyway that we can rent out our Harddrive space while mining?:

mine or rent but not both. A plot file fills every 256kb of a hdd so there is no space left over. So how can you rent a full hdd?

Did anyone read the Siacoin white paper? What are their plots are made out of? They also have plot files. How are they able to still use the capacity to rent out? Is there a way to implement POC or something similar to their Plots? Just thoughts..

• sia coin is decentralized storage so you would have to have empty space to earn any coins with it. Burstcoin has no empty space so tell me how are you going to mine on an empty space or how are you going to store on a full hdd?

• @Wolf i like where your head is at.. but like @tross is saying.. doesnt seem possible.. unless you are renting fractions of an existing plot. but then you wouldnt be able to mine the whole capacity .. might not be worth it even if it was possible.

hmm.

• @Wolf they probably store shards of data in a db on you hdd like storj shares. so may be sia and burst poc coins but dogs and cats are also both animals and there is no such thing as a catdog except in make believe.

• @tross The cat and dog thing is probably not the best example. lol. But I see what you are trying to say.

• So are you guys saying that there is no other way to prove that you have X amount of space with some other form of calculation code without filling up the whole entire space?

• sia and burst have tow different meanings for the term POC. Sia has a goal to collect data and pay people for that storage. The data is in some kind of plotting system so it can be found. Burst fills up a hdd with nounces every 256kb and when you mine you search your hdd to find a dl which are in one of those 256kb. So they are two different systems doing 2 different things.

Now you could probably upload a burst plot to sia storage but you cant mine it. Its decentralized storage so pieces of your burst plot would cover the world.

• @darindarin said in Is there anyway that we can rent out our Harddrive space while mining?:

unless you are renting fractions of an existing plot. but then you wouldnt be able to mine the whole capacity

I like what you just said.. Is it possible to make a plotfile to reserve some % of your capacity to calculate the size of your drive and adjust the block reward in the code to make it worth it?

• i am digging the fact that wolf is thinking outside of the box... Good stuff though I can't wrap my head around it completely.

I see what is being said though, if you're mining the 8tb, then it's being used/occupied already. Wondering if during the short period of time it's not in use, can it then be occupied by another individual to use..? I maybe way off, just figured I would put it out there.

Looks like your connection to Burst - Efficient HDD Mining was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.