Trouble adding a Hard-drive to your Windows machine?

• Hey there, Burstcoin Warriors!! I wanted to reach out to you folks who want to add some Hard-drive space to your Miners but might be having difficulties doing so. A lot of people out there can put hardware together, but not everyone can make it work. This ain’t those old days of opening up the machine adding a drive and configuring irq’s, com ports, and lpt’s; but it’s not a plug it in and forget it World, yet, either. Great, you’ve opened her up, plugged it all together, turned the machine on and entered into the bios. You’ve also confirmed all the SATA and IDE ports you are going to use are active. Looks good, Bios sees it; cool, so you save and exit… and now, for the big test. You press startup and the drives ‘whir’ to life with spinning noise (noise if it’s a rotating platter drive, otherwise a soft hush of the internal fan) and you see,… the original drive you started with and no damn new drive shows up!! "Shit! Son of a…."

Not to worry! That’s where I want to help. First thing I’d like for you to do is confirm that you have the most current bios installed. This is not a mandatory procedure, however, it should be done especially if you are adding a larger sized hard drive. Even today, many mo-bo’s just weren’t shipped with the ‘extra capacity’ drives in mind and if your bios is from the early 2000’s, it could lend to the issue that windows didn’t see your new hard drive. This step can be skipped for now, but if there are issues later on, you might want to come back and check this off of the list. You will need to go to your computer manufacturers’ web site to download the most current version of the bios to a bootable removable storage device (Check google for a step by step tutorial on how to create a bootable device that can get you to a dos command prompt - also, don't skimp on size, I don't think a little 256mb stick is going to help - I used a 16gb stick and had no issues getting the set up files). To update the bios, you need to set your removable device to “boot” first (instead of your c:\drive). Reboot the machine and run the downloaded bios .bat file from the command prompt at startup. Follow the instructions to replace the bios. Once complete, return to the set up utility and reset the order of startup back to your c:\drive.

Reboot the machine and you will likely still not see your drive, but now you have the most current bios and at any rate, your machine will run better. So earlier we identified that the bios IS seeing your drive on SATA 0,1,2, or 3, but Windows does not. This is the magical part of the post folks, because Windows really does. Regardless of the Windows version, find the “Run” box. This would be (Windows start button+R) for most windows product, for Win8 and 10 you can find it already on your desktop. In that box type in, diskmgmt.msc and press enter – a window will open that displays all the hard drives connected (including your missing drive!!), ”Rossman!! You did it!!” (Yes, I did, but we aren’t quite done, yet). If you see a blue bar on a space, then that is an allocated drive and has a drive letter assigned. Your new drive is being displayed as one of the black bars, like in the attached example, you see 16gigs unallocated. Right click that unallocated spot and select create new volume (or delete a space and combine it for more - Just remember allocated space may have information you need - so be sure the space you want to combine is empty before deleting the partition, now continue) -> Great!! Choose the size of the partition, a drive letter, and format that Monster! Close it all out, reboot your machine, and get ready to plot your hard drive space.

Congratulations!! Your hard drive is now formatted and ready for use!       

I hope this helps someone out there, and even if you already know this stuff, I hope it was a good read.
    Rossman!
    0_1495492989489_DiskManagement_01.jpg 0_1495493005464_DiskManagement_02.jpg