Plotting slowing down

• I use XPlotter and plotting on external (USB3.0) and internal hd. My plotting starts with ok velocity 4000 nonces /min, but slowly decreases the velocity to less and less to even 500 nonces /min what is wrong?

• @hgrh said in Plotting slowing down:

I use XPlotter and plotting on external (USB3.0) and internal hd. My plotting starts with ok velocity 4000 nonces /min, but slowly decreases the velocity to less and less to even 500 nonces /min what is wrong?

Are you running other programs? The nonces/min displayed should be relatively stable. Your actual nonces/min depend on if your disk writes don't slow down the nonce generator. If the bottom line is gray instead of yellow, the generator is waiting for the disk write to finish. To solve that, you should write 2 or 3 files concurrently.

• hmm, can I plot 2 files at the same time?

• Yes, I am using opera browser, avg, team viewer and the miner

• @rds said in Plotting slowing down:

@hgrh said in Plotting slowing down:

I use XPlotter and plotting on external (USB3.0) and internal hd. My plotting starts with ok velocity 4000 nonces /min, but slowly decreases the velocity to less and less to even 500 nonces /min what is wrong?

Are you running other programs? The nonces/min displayed should be relatively stable. Your actual nonces/min depend on if your disk writes don't slow down the nonce generator. If the bottom line is gray instead of yellow, the generator is waiting for the disk write to finish. To solve that, you should write 2 or 3 files concurrently.

I was just about to make a topic about xplotter slowing down writing to the drive. It's an i5 4590 and getting about 7900 nonces/min but after writing maybe the first few % the write speeds go from 90-100mb/s to 5-10mb/s and taking close to 24hrs for roughly a 1tb plot. It's always grey cause the next chunk of nonces are always waiting to be written.

Mine are 8tb usb 3 seagates btw. I've tried using the onboard usb3 porst and a pci express usb 3 card and still get the same slow downs. Are u saying writing 2 plots at the same time will help this? Instead of 4 cores on 1 plot with slow down write speeds, using 2 cores on 2 seperate plots with keeps the write speeds up?

• @Garbear ,

I use 8 cores on each of 3 concurrent plots. Only 1G or less of RAM is necessary. I set the priority for these 3 to below average so as not to hog the system when some other program needs CPU time. As long as any one of the 3 is yellow you are effectively getting max nonce/min which for me is about 8300. Those 8300 are spread across the 3 files.

If you do what I say here, you will plot 3TB per day at your stated 7900/min.

• @rds said in Plotting slowing down:

@Garbear ,

I use 8 cores on each of 3 concurrent plots. Only 1G or less of RAM is necessary. I set the priority for these 3 to below average so as not to hog the system when some other program needs CPU time. As long as any one of the 3 is yellow you are effectively getting max nonce/min which for me is about 8300. Those 8300 are spread across the 3 files.

But what do ur write speeds look like? Do they start out maxed then drop to 5-10mb/s like mine do? So ur doing like 3 cores 1 plot, 3 cores 1 plot and the last 2 cores the 3rd plot?

How do u change the priority for the plotter? It's a plot only rig for mine so I dont have to worry about other stuff needing cpu time.

• @Garbear , yes they do, that's why I invented this system. It is specifically for writing to SMR drives. Try it, you won't be disappointed. I wrote up an entire thread about this called "how to get max nonces ...." or some such title.

• @rds I'm looking for it now lol

• I'm start Xplotter as Admin 24 hrs ago (2Tb WD Re, starting speed ~5100 nonces/min), now the same speed

0_1495741171163_123.JPG

• @Blago , 5100 n/min is 2TB (7,630,000 nonces) a day, and that's what you did. So I bet the WD Re is not an SMR drive.

To plot 2TB a day at 5100 n/m on SMRs, plot 3 or more files simultaneously.

• @rds Can I plot simultaneously with XPlotter? I have 4 threads and 4 gb ram, how i setup bat files?

• Personally I've found plotting to an internal drive and then copying the finished plot file to an external to be a much faster and more reliable way of working.

USB3 externals are picky and have tighter tolerances, so the nicer I can treat them the better I think.

I can build on an internal at full speed and copy the finished file at 100MB/s in one single stream to the external.

• @hgrh , use 4 threads, 512M ram and below normal priority. Let me say my 3 file system has only been tested with 3 files on 3 separate drives. Not sure how it would work (speed increase?) if the 3 files are on the same drive. Here is a example bat file for 3-1TB files on 3 different drives. If you only have one drive, adjust the paths as necessary.

start "" /belownormal /b /w "c:\burst\XPlotter.v1.0\XPlotter_avx.exe" -id 12345867970884553089 -sn 6000000000 -n 3815000 -t 4 -path c:\burst -mem 512
    start "" /belownormal /b /w "c:\burst\XPlotter.v1.0\XPlotter_avx.exe" -id 12345867970884553089 -sn 7000000000 -n 3815000 -t 4 -path c:\burst -mem 512
    start "" /belownormal /b /w "c:\burst\XPlotter.v1.0\XPlotter_avx.exe" -id 12345867970884553089 -sn 8000000000 -n 3815000 -t 4 -path c:\burst -mem 512

• @rds when i use xplotter_avx.exe it does'nt work
    have to use xplotter_sse.exe, what is the diference?

• @hgrh , if your hardware won't support avx then use the sse file.

I edited out the /w in the original lines. /w is for sequential writes, the bat lines shown above will all run at once as written now.

• i can get to 8 gb ram, what will be the configuration then??

• @hgrh , you could bump it up to 1GB but more ram in the bat file will not increase your speed, so get it if you need it for another program, but 512MB will work fine.

• @captinkid said in Plotting slowing down:

Personally I've found plotting to an internal drive and then copying the finished plot file to an external to be a much faster and more reliable way of working.

USB3 externals are picky and have tighter tolerances, so the nicer I can treat them the better I think.

I can build on an internal at full speed and copy the finished file at 100MB/s in one single stream to the external.

I used to do that but now with my 3 file system I can plot direct to SMR drives as fast as you can to a PMR drive and skip the transfer time, which is not insignificant.

Looks like your connection to BurstCoin - Efficient HDD Mining was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.