Bought 500TB now what? Newcomer to Burstcoin.

• Hello,

It all started before one week. I watched some videos on youtube and all seems kinda easy.

You create a wallet, get some burst from a faucet, create some plots... it looked a lot easier, I've read that for 8 TB drives it will take 2 days so I've decided to start with a small HDD that I had laying around. It took me 6 hours to fill that sucker.

My hardware is Intel i7 4930k 32GB of ram and GPU RX 480 8GB. I've seen that users with those specs fill an 8 GB for a day. I think my problem is with the plotter. It was hard for me to set it up. I kinda understood what the numbers mean but I think there has to be a faster way!

I've started with the gpuplotter but it filled the 465TB with the file and after that started to fill the that nonces bar. My drive was full so I was expecting it to stop but no It started to raise the %bar little by little and I was supposed to wait 10 additional hours for it to finish. This was kind of a nuisance to me that is why I've decided to come and ask for some advice how to better plot and which tools to use.

I'm expecting a delivery tomorrow for the drives. That is why I'm kinda in a hurry to learn and understand all that so any help would be amazing.

Regards,
    Ivan Ivanov

P.S With the cpuplotter I get 7,5 hours to plot 500GB.

• admin

@Moniva Given the CPU you have, I'd suggest CPU plotting with XPlotter rather than GPU plotting. It creates optimized plots and starts plotting immediately, whereas the GPU plotter will take about a day to get ready to optimally plot an 8TB drive. As you have a 12 thread CPU, if you want it to be useable, set the threads for XPlotter to 10

XPlotter

• @Moniva If they are the seagate archive drives what you will want to do is plot on another disk then copy the finished plots over to make the process go a little faster since the archive drives are painfully slow.

• @Moniva said in Bought 500TB now what? Newcomer to Burstcoin.:

Hello,

It all started before one week. I watched some videos on youtube and all seems kinda easy.

You create a wallet, get some burst from a faucet, create some plots... it looked a lot easier, I've read that for 8 TB drives it will take 2 days so I've decided to start with a small HDD that I had laying around. It took me 6 hours to fill that sucker.

My hardware is Intel i7 4930k 32GB of ram and GPU RX 480 8GB. I've seen that users with those specs fill an 8 GB for a day. I think my problem is with the plotter. It was hard for me to set it up. I kinda understood what the numbers mean but I think there has to be a faster way!

I've started with the gpuplotter but it filled the 465TB with the file and after that started to fill the that nonces bar. My drive was full so I was expecting it to stop but no It started to raise the %bar little by little and I was supposed to wait 10 additional hours for it to finish. This was kind of a nuisance to me that is why I've decided to come and ask for some advice how to better plot and which tools to use.

I'm expecting a delivery tomorrow for the drives. That is why I'm kinda in a hurry to learn and understand all that so any help would be amazing.

Regards,
    Ivan Ivanov

P.S With the cpuplotter I get 7,5 hours to plot 500GB.

Did you mean GB in the title, or 500 TB?

• @Moniva look up the spec on the 500Gb(google the model number), if its SATA II then it will be 3 Gb/s, that will explain the slow write speeds. The best advice I can give is to start small and grow slowly. There is a learning curve to Burst mining.
    Good luck with your build!

• @haitch Thank you very much for the info. I have also an ethereum rig that I'm planning to use for GPU plotting 6 drives at a time.

@manfromafar Yes I got the Seagate archive drives 8TB they were on sale so I got bulk ordering. The problem is that I do not have another 8TB drive to plot onto. Actually, I know that they have half the head that is why they are slow but I thought that this gets you affected only if you delete and copy new files on them??? Or maybe I have not understood the technology right.

@rds I got 65x Seagate Archive 8TB drives so I've written it correctly.

@iKnow0 They are old WD Enterprise Edition 500GB HDDs. And you are correct sir they are sata2 maybe that could explain the slow time ...

Thx fellas I will try the XPlotter. I will be posting often 😃 as @iKnow0 said there is a learning curve. I just hope that it isn't much steil of a curve 🙂

• Generally that is correct but the way that xplotter writes the plots its constantly slow. Also you can make the plots anysize you like so if you have say a 2TB drives you can use that to generate the plots and copy them off to the 8TB drives

• @manfromafar I thought or at least I've read somewhere the larger and the fewer files you have the better?

• admin

@Moniva A single optimized plot is the best option, but plotting those on SMR drives is a night mare - over a week to plot a single drive. It's somewhat faster to mine to a "regular" drive, then move that file to the SMR drive. Ideally you'd have a regular 8TB drive - eg WD Red 8TB, where you can plot an optimized file, then move to the SMR. But if you only have a smaller drive, you can multi plot that drive and move each plot to the SMR.

• @Moniva correct OR you could raid them all together and the biggest single plot file :}

• @haitch, @manfromafar Do you guys think that if I make a Raid 0 array I could plot the whole 500TB at once? Could it be somewhat faster? If not I will order additional 12 regular drives so I can replot them.

• admin

@Moniva The miners are multi-threaded, so can read multiple drives at once. That will be a lot faster than trying to mine a single massive plot file.

• I wouldn't recommend doing a large raid-0 since if one disk fails you have to replot everything from scratch.
    Keepping them as single disks is the best bet unless you want to split the data off into other uses like 300TB to mining and 200TB to backups or other things.

• @Moniva If you have all segate drives, perhaps just using as many cpu threads as possible on as many machines as you have would be the best choice.

You would need 65 threads, so 6 of the same computers you are using. You will probably want multiple computers to mine as well. Maybe borrow a few for a little bit 😉

Do them all at the same time if you can...So all would be done in a week.

• @haitch Thx for the advice. Also, I've tried the xplotter with 11 threads it did the 500gb HDD for 2 hours ... with 14500nonces per min.

@manfromafar all of the space would be used for burst mining.

@ryanw I doubt it my boss or colleagues would appreciate if I show up at work with a box full of drives and occupy every PC in the room for plotting 😃

Another quicky can I mine while plotting?

Thx for all of the advice fellas I will keep you updated as I progress.

• admin

@Moniva Once you've completed a plot, you can start mining it - you can't mine a plot in progress.

• SMR? it will be nightmare ... i waked up,and bought PMR after testing SMR ... uff...good luck ...
    it was big mistake buy your drives 😞

• @pipop said in Bought 500TB now what? Newcomer to Burstcoin.:

SMR? it will be nightmare ... i waked up,and bought PMR after testing SMR ... uff...good luck ...
    it was big mistake buy your drives 😞

What nightmare? You set the plotter to do 1TB file at a time check it every few days and move the completed files into the farm directory and you are mining while plotting.

• An other Option would be to Plott the SMR Drives simultaneously.
    Set the Threads in Xplotter lower to find the optimum to the write speed and than copy the .bat File and set continuous start nonces (start nonce +nonces=next start nonce)

• @Zwurg said in Bought 500TB now what? Newcomer to Burstcoin.:

An other Option would be to Plott the SMR Drives simultaneously.
    Set the Threads in Xplotter lower to find the optimum to the write speed and than copy the .bat File and set continuous start nonces (start nonce +nonces=next start nonce)

Or try this:
    https://forums.burst-team.us/topic/5307/how-to-attain-max-nonce-min-plotting-direct-to-smr-drives