Has anyone been able to get a Nvidia 1080 to fly?

• Has anyone on the forum been able to find the "magic settings" to get a Nvidia 1080 to Plot at sustained high speed under windows 10?

All of my efforts have come to failure (starting a 46,000+ nonces... then dwindling down to 2800 nonces). I think I am going to bag it and get an RX 580 and call it a day. Everyone who seems to be happy on this forum with a high speed plotting setup seems to be running an AMD GPU.

Do I have it right? Questions/comments welcome. Maybe I can save someone else the same trouble! 🙂

• @shipbldr2000 said in Has anyone been able to get a Nvidia 1080 to fly?:

Has anyone on the forum been able to find the "magic settings" to get a Nvidia 1080 to Plot at sustained high speed under windows 10?

All of my efforts have come to failure (starting a 46,000+ nonces... then dwindling down to 2800 nonces). I think I am going to bag it and get an RX 580 and call it a day. Everyone who seems to be happy on this forum with a high speed plotting setup seems to be running an AMD GPU.

Do I have it right? Questions/comments welcome. Maybe I can save someone else the same trouble! 🙂

I am far from an expert on this, I'm only 3 days old, but the fact you're starting at 46000 and its slowly dwindling down to 2800 means something is really wrong... on a 1050 ti currently I am getting 22500 sustained the whole way through a 1TB file... so please don't spend money on another video card, thats not the problem, so lets try to tackle this without you spending money...

(if I say things you already know or have done, please don't be insulted, just trying to work through it with you to save yourself hundreds of dollars)

are you running the gpu miner in an administrator window? and not just a regular command prompt? when you open it, it should say "Administrator: Command Prompt" at the top of the window, and NOT just "Command Prompt"...

I'm going to assume you're using "gpuplotgenerator" since thats honestly the only gpu plotter I know of, there are probably others so everything I say is based on my experience with that the last few days...

now our video cards are basically the same family, albeit yours is far more fun to have, but lets see if you can copy my settings and get it to work at a sustained speed, or at least a speed that doesn't slowly die off and go down right?

0 0 1024 16 8192

that is my devices.txt bat, not too impressive, very small numbers, and I do that because the larger numbers seem to blow up and crash or cause issues, but start with the basement before you build the roof right?

gpuPlotGenerator generate direct D:\plots\3514366288793510651_36864000_4096000_1024

thats my command line to launch the plotter... now first you can see I am plotting in direct mode rather than buffer, because I want plots optimized right away, and second I have a very good HDD, an Ironwolf that can sustain 100MB/s writes that I am getting with my settings...

now when using my numbers, you MUST change the command line to include YOUR ID number and not use mine, or else the plots won't help you, I'm sure you know which of the numbers this is, for those reading who do not, its the 3514366288793510651 portion you replace with your own ID...

so this will create a 1TB direct plot to the drive... modify the location, modify the ID number, and perhaps modify the size of the plot so you could run a smaller one for testing, although you could just cancel it anytime, and then delete that plot you made in a test folder, remember this is just to test sustained speeds...

it takes me 3 hours to make one of these files, but after 5min my nonces/minute remains steady... so what could be affecting you? a couple things, the most important might be your hard drive itself... open up task manager, and highlight the hard drive you're writing to, to see what kind of write speeds you're getting, it could very well be that your hard drive is the weak link and NOT your video card, I mean you've got an impressive as heck video card, its certainly not the gpu..

so while you're watching the file get created, depending on your hard drive write speeds, that may be your bottleneck and issue, although it is very weird that it slowly trails off in speed, this happened to me once, when I used a non-administrator command prompt, and the second time it happened to me was when I was writing two plots at the same time to squeeze any performance out... so I have stuck with making single plots in direct mode... give it a try!

P.S. like I mentioned earlier, I apologize if you've tried all this or know all this, just trying to save you from spending hundreds on a solution that likely won't solve the problem, buying another gpu, there is a solution, we just have to figure it out...

• admin

@shipbldr2000 What sort of drive? If it's SMR (Shingled Magnetic Recording) - optimized plotting to it is going to be painful. It'll mine fine, but the plotting ..... 😢

• @haitch happens to me too, i go from 20000 to 2000 at about 15-20% on smr

edit: i just stick at 2000 on non smr drives? wtf?

• Hello DarkBane & Hatch,

Don't worry, you won't insult me 🙂 I appreciate your time and effort!

I agree, something's not going well! I am...

1. Using gpuplotgenerator
    2. Running in an admin window on a Ryzen 1700x w/64GB on a Zotac 1080 8GB Card (Have spare card, same model, swapped cards no change)
    3. Run a batch file to build 100GB plots
    4. Run in direct mode
    5. Write out to a regular NON-SMR drive (8GB drive, same result w/ 6x8GB hardware array)
    6. I did change the ID number
    7. Will try your settings Darkbane and see how we do. I have tried everything else 🙂

BTW the 1080s are still returnable and I have a pair of 580's coming in so we can experiment on this.

Questions & comments welcome.. This has been a heck of a ride fighting with this 1080 card the last 5 days.

• admin

@shipbldr2000 Prior to the latest version of gpuplotgenerator, in Direct mode, the plotter calculates the first stagger of nonces - the 20K part, then builds the entire plot file - while the file is being built, and for big drives that can be a day or more, then starts filling it in. At that point your eta goes down and nonces/min go up.

The latest version doesn't have the slow file build as long as you run it as admin. If you don't have it, go grab it.

• Thank you Haitch!

I went to the parts cabinet, pulled out an old beat up XFX R7800, placed it into the machine.

Then I wrote a spreadsheet that made a batch file of 100Gb slices....

0_1498592060670_edb31ff5-7b17-45f3-a4c4-6f09fc883b25-image.png md K:\Burst\Plot
    md K:\drive_3
    C:\gpuplotgenerator\gpuplotgenerator.exe generate direct K:\Burst\Plot\6262946287884840000_60620800_409600_8192
    C:\gpuplotgenerator\gpuplotgenerator.exe generate direct K:\Burst\Plot\6262946287884840000_61030400_409600_8192
    C:\gpuplotgenerator\gpuplotgenerator.exe generate direct K:\Burst\Plot\6262946287884840000_61440000_409600_8192
    C:\gpuplotgenerator\gpuplotgenerator.exe generate direct K:\Burst\Plot\6262946287884840000_61849600_409600_8192
    C:\gpuplotgenerator\gpuplotgenerator.exe generate direct K:\Burst\Plot\6262946287884840000_62259200_409600_8192

and set it to run.

Card settings are: 0 0 1024 128 2048

I am running gpuplotgenerator V4.0.3

It's knocking out 12,000k+ nonces and sustaining >100MB/s...

It's a happy card. I will beat my head against the wall with the 1080 a little later tonight 🙂

• Oh!
    SNAP!

Game over...

I just pointed the old beatup XFX R7800 at a 500GB M.2 NVME drive and its writing at about 600MB/s with an occasional dip to the 200's.

I think we have a whole new plan here. I am going to round robin this little monster to a few M.2 drives and see what happens. I will copy from one M.2 drive while it writes a second M.2 drive.

Time for some batch file magic.....

• My 1070 will do 45k to start and then settle in on 32k over the long run to a single disk, I'm sure there is a little bottleneck somewhere, but it seems to work fine.

0 0 1024 16 4096

seems to work best for me

• @captinkid

I will give those settings a try!

Thank you Captin!

• @captinkid I am trying the 1070 settings you have now as well cause I kept getting an error at the end with my settings.

• @shipbldr2000 Absolutely not. I think you should go take that 1080 back and get a new one. Sounds like something is wrong with it, or you don't have the drivers or something.
    nvidia experience will give you the correct drives

What I'm trying to say is that, you should figure out what's wrong with the 1080. Given the price on those things, and the fact that it isn't performing like it should. You should be getting around 60k-100k nonces with that, at the very VERY least