Raspberry Pi Zero Mining, Wallet, Plotting and Mining q's

• Good morning all!

Sorry for the questions, I just figured it may be easy to get simple answers by asking them straight forward. I have checked the forum but there's so many comments it's hard to find the precise info I need. I'm currently mining on Linux, and windows, so I know how to set that up. So here's my question.

I want to buy a Raspberry Pi Zero W to mine on. Is it possible, to just have like 10 16GB USB sticks connected up?
    Do I need to download a wallet on every machine / device I want to create plots on and mine on? or Can I just download a plotter and a miner. ( Blockchain has taken 2 days to download on my windows machine, not keen to wait 2 more days to get it working on the Raspberry Pi...

Which Plotter and miner do I use for the Pi that works? Is it Raspbian based? or Linux based?

Why is my windows blockchain taking so long to download when my linux one took a couple of hours?

I have 2 500G harddrives, is it possible to plot one and copy it across to the 2nd one?

How are the DL's calculated? does it have anything to do with the plotter?

That's about it for now. Thanks a mil!

• Hi,

I've been looking into use of RPis recently and there are a number of issues with this and your setup. Will it work? Yes - but it will be super slow and won't generate you many Burst from 160GB being processed really slowly.

Can you connect 10x16GB USB sticks - yes. There are a couple of issues here though worth noting:

• It won't be fast to process per-plot. The RPi only has USB2 and you'll be sharing a single USB2 port for all of those devices being scanned plus the zero hasn't got much CPU power. Combine both of these and realistically you'll probably get a read rate of around 5MBps at the top end across the entire device with a Zero's resources
    • This isn't much plot space to start with - expect to only generate around 30 Burst per month. At current rates that's going to be over a year to ROI on the hardware if you're buying it fresh.

The speed issues for 160GB may not be a big issue. Each round you only read 1/4096th of your data so 40MB here which will only take a few seconds. The biggest issue is the lack of plot size. If you were to get more data then with a Zero I suspect 2-3TB is most you could have before the mining speed ended up being slower than the round speed (meaning you'd never get to finish scanning your data in most cases). A RPi 3 could probably double this (as a frough guess).

Plotter - if you have Windows somewhere I'd recommend using xplotter in Windows to start with. The Pi has such low compute power that plotting is going to be incredibly slow. Generating a plot is so much more intensive than mining it (literally thousands of times more so) and the device has such low memory that I'd try and stay clear of it.

Miner - I just wrote one that will work on the Pi (see https://forums.burst-team.us/topic/6627/rpi-arm-cross-platform-architecture-miner-anybody-interested) there is also this thread (https://forums.burst-team.us/topic/786/raspberry-pi-miner) discussing it.

Blockchain is gigabytes - so it will take a while to download. The wallet can operate in two modes - local (where you have the blockchain) and remote. I suspect Linux one is just running remote. You don't need the wallet or blockchain installed on your miners to mine and you don't need it to plot. You don't actually need it at all.

Copying plots - think of each plot as a lottery ticket. If you photocopy it you still only have one set of numbers. Same is true with plots - you cannot copy them as you just have same data twice. You need to perform a second set of plots with a different start nonce (the start nonce is in effect the set of lottery numbers being written to your ticket). Deadlines are calculated by doing some maths based on current block and the details in your plot (which is ultimately based off a number and your account ID). This maths just gives a number which is then a number of seconds that defines your deadline.

If you to spend money on a low-cost and low-power box dedicated to this a low-end Intel Nuc would probably be a much better bet at around $100 but with USB3. I'm currently building a J1900 4-core celeron (10watt TDP) to see how that performs. That's a factor of 30 less than my desktop but still more than a Pi.

Hope that's some help!

Guy

• @guytp This has to be the most informed reply I have ever read! Thank you so much for answering my questions! I would totally donate if I had anything, when I get something I'll send some Burst your way! Thanks again!