Few questions from a newbie that's done some research.

• I have a few questions, so I'll separate them.

I feel like I may be a little late on the Burst Train for someone who just wants to start mining with some leftover hardware, with most pools requiring 30TB+ (ranging to 150TB+) to even be optimal. Is it even worth it to us smaller miners at this point? I went and bought a 4TB external for burst mining (As I don't have a lot of money) and plotted it with XPlotter. I have not started mining it yet, still looking into which miner and pool I want to use. (I have an i7 7700K Overclocked to 5.0 with 64GB ram if anyone wants to make suggestions that will fit my hardware, my video card is only a 750 Ti)

Is the recent spike in price for burst artificial? I've read this in a few places, but with the difficulty of mining also going up quite a bit, it seems the spike in price is also to go with it. I've read about the "BOTNET" case, but it seems to be all speculation, although it wouldn't be suprising if it happened. The PoC setup just makes it all to easy to put some plots on someones PC in the background, granted you do it slowly so their fans aren't blazing.

With the difficulty increasing faster than it ever has, do you guys feel like it's worth it to start mining at this point without a starting budget. I believe this would be different if I had 100TB or something I could throw into a pool, but I don't. I have 4TB (3.63TB) and no extra money to purchase additional drives. The "calculated" burst per month has dropped by nearly 100 in the last 24 hours, for my specification and it seems like the network is just being blasted by high-capacity servers at this point, making the "Little guy" absolutely irrelevant, even though the website says that burst-coin favors the smaller user. So what's ROI looking like here? If I take about 40% off of the calculator for the month, that's 600BC for this month, which is (as of right now) about $10. So with the constant difficulty increase, it seems like the "smaller guy" could never hit ROI anymore.

What do you guys think?

• @CTucker Given that Burst will be around in 2-3-4 years still - but then again who knows? the small miner will still get his smallish share still. Its just about he cant ROI within 6-8 months with pure mining, but this was going to end anyway sooner or later.

Burst as all other coins in the past, currently and in future inevatible is facing his own arms race. In other coins its CPU/GPU Asics whatever, in Burst its HD space.

Finally Id agree on whats posted up on here and very earlier on on bitcointalk that in the end the only way to make botnets worthless is to up up the NetDiff - what is currently Happening anyway as ROI was much to high. Technically there is no difference anyway if a botnet mining or regular miners (not that to be misunderstood, its criminal Action and in no way I want to Support that), but see it that way:

Botnet holds lets say 4PB (!) of mining. Whole Network 12 PB - Problem. Network Holding 500PB, Botnet of 4 no probl.

Its an arms race.

To your question, your investing 4 TB lets say $ 100.- for the sake of it thats 25/each TB for a good deal , earning you 10 bucks a month minus 1 for energy costs. Calculate your time, $€/0 each hour u invested or what?, the other HW your running (will die over time) etc.

Its all about Long term, but who knows what that means?

Roi in 8 months is fine, but all world Population cant roi within 8 months forever as we all would end up mining and trading the AE lol!

Roi in lets say 24 months is still fine compared to the "real" world economy, but half a lifetime in crypto, so see above will Burst will be around in 2 years still? Nobody knows, thats the risk for the Investor involved - which is why rewared is much much higher than compared to investing in Porsche, Mc or Unilever.

Whats the Definition of Long term then? Nobody knows.

• @CTucker said in Few questions from a newbie that's done some research.:

I have a few questions, so I'll separate them.

I feel like I may be a little late on the Burst Train for someone who just wants to start mining with some leftover hardware, with most pools requiring 30TB+ (ranging to 150TB+) to even be optimal. Is it even worth it to us smaller miners at this point? I went and bought a 4TB external for burst mining (As I don't have a lot of money) and plotted it with XPlotter. I have not started mining it yet, still looking into which miner and pool I want to use. (I have an i7 7700K Overclocked to 5.0 with 64GB ram if anyone wants to make suggestions that will fit my hardware, my video card is only a 750 Ti)

Is the recent spike in price for burst artificial? I've read this in a few places, but with the difficulty of mining also going up quite a bit, it seems the spike in price is also to go with it. I've read about the "BOTNET" case, but it seems to be all speculation, although it wouldn't be suprising if it happened. The PoC setup just makes it all to easy to put some plots on someones PC in the background, granted you do it slowly so their fans aren't blazing.

With the difficulty increasing faster than it ever has, do you guys feel like it's worth it to start mining at this point without a starting budget. I believe this would be different if I had 100TB or something I could throw into a pool, but I don't. I have 4TB (3.63TB) and no extra money to purchase additional drives. The "calculated" burst per month has dropped by nearly 100 in the last 24 hours, for my specification and it seems like the network is just being blasted by high-capacity servers at this point, making the "Little guy" absolutely irrelevant, even though the website says that burst-coin favors the smaller user. So what's ROI looking like here? If I take about 40% off of the calculator for the month, that's 600BC for this month, which is (as of right now) about $10. So with the constant difficulty increase, it seems like the "smaller guy" could never hit ROI anymore.

What do you guys think?

I think the best strategy for new folks is NOT to purchase hardware, just use your existing drives that have empty space, and mine with that until you need more space, then delete some plots so you can use your hardware for what it was intended... I think that is the most cost effective way to get a tiny amount of burst, and if it actually goes up in value months or years from now, hey you got it all for the cost of electricity, without having to buy anything else!

but if you start turning this into a business where you need to seriously consider return on your investment, you're likely going to be fighting a very difficult battle that will require the ability to sustain the potential loss if it comes to that... so if someone is new to this, I think you should NOT buy hardware for this is the best answer, at least not an excessive amount that you one day won't find a use for or be able to sell for a fair value if you decide to stop mining...

don't spend what you can't afford to lose, thats good advice for any cryptocurrency or gambling bet...