Is this proper behavior for gpu "direct" plotting?

• hey everyone, so I decided to bite the bullet and before my new hhd's come in the mail I Deleted my old plots and started to make new optimized ones using gpu plotter. I began the plotting and it plotted up to around .43% on a 3tb drive and then stopped, it's still running just hasn't gone past that point yet in over 4 hours. I have read that it takes awhile before it will move doing it this way but wanted to double check if all seemed normal as im worried. I noticed when I first ran it my system memory went up to 99% and the gpu plotter was running around 13.5 gigs of ram. however after 4 hours or the gpu plotter now is using about 8.5 gigs of ram however my total available system ram is still showing that it's maxed out, around 98-99% in use. everything seem's to be working normally and when checking the drive activity it is still doing something so I assume all is going normally? thanks for any tips or info. when I ran gpu plotter as optimized I was not sure what to put for my stagger size so I just left it at 50000 which is what it was when I did buffer mode. thanks again!

• @kevmachine said in Is this proper behavior for gpu "direct" plotting?:

hey everyone, so I decided to bite the bullet and before my new hhd's come in the mail I Deleted my old plots and started to make new optimized ones using gpu plotter. I began the plotting and it plotted up to around .43% on a 3tb drive and then stopped, it's still running just hasn't gone past that point yet in over 4 hours. I have read that it takes awhile before it will move doing it this way but wanted to double check if all seemed normal as im worried. I noticed when I first ran it my system memory went up to 99% and the gpu plotter was running around 13.5 gigs of ram. however after 4 hours or the gpu plotter now is using about 8.5 gigs of ram however my total available system ram is still showing that it's maxed out, around 98-99% in use. everything seem's to be working normally and when checking the drive activity it is still doing something so I assume all is going normally? thanks for any tips or info. when I ran gpu plotter as optimized I was not sure what to put for my stagger size so I just left it at 50000 which is what it was when I did buffer mode. thanks again!

make sure you are using 4.1.1 or above, there was a problem in direct mode on the older version where it would hang or take forever to complete like this...

https://github.com/bhamon/gpuPlotGenerator/releases

P.S. also if your system is using 99% of its memory, you really need to adjust your usage way down, the last thing you want to do is swap to your HDD for available memory... I'm only using 512MB while plotting direct, so it certainly doesn't need 13.5GB of memory to get the job done...

• @Darkbane thanks. I think this is where I messed up! After it finished creating the file and started filling it, my nonces would write 50,000 at a time. Then would take about 10 minutes to begin writing the next everytime... my hard drive would make alot of loading sounds during this 10 minite interval. Something was drastically killing it and it must of been what you stated. I put my stagger wayyy to high. I just ran buffer again and will try again later on. I was down almost 48 hours and just wanted to get mining again. Next time ill make sure i have the newer version and lower my stagger. Thanks!

• Hello @kevmachine .
    I propouse you to make test with a litle file. Like 10 gb.
    I start with recomendated value
    After you can agiustet it . mahe power oh 2 all this value
    In sietem crash, you mast divaded of 2 all value
    After , you can divaded of 2 .

I recamandedet to meke 2 tests
    one on tour ssd
    and seccond on your hdd

I try to plot with my gpu , but I have non for moment the best result.
    Good luck