2 Slow devices bottlenecking my profit?

• So I have these 2 devices that are plotted. Their read/write speeds are incredibly slow and I think it might be bottlenecking things for me.
    My 8GB usb drive took me 6 hours to plot the full 8GB.
    My 120GB SD card took me a full day to plot the full 120GB.
    But all my other hard drives plotted quickly. I took off the plot files to test and I seem to be getting better deadlines and it's faster to read all my other plot files. Should I add them back considered I have more storage plotted. Or should I keep them off and just delete the plot files because the read/write speeds are incredibly slow (Both 2 storage devices had a 10~15MB/s)?

• @FurryFlutt usb2 speeds/ it was meant for storage anyways, not full read/write speeds

• @FurryFlutt, hi. So here's a question: the 10-15MB/s values you quoted, were those values observed during plotting or mining?

If plotting, some of the 8TB drives (notably the lower cost Seagate units) use what is called an SMR (Shingled Magnetic Recording) drive that is VERY slow to plot, but which will work fine when mining. 6 hours for an 8TB SMR is actually pretty good, if that is what you have.

Are you connected to a USB 3.0 port? Is it connecting at full speed or dropping back to 2.0 speeds?

While mining, do you have several USB drives sharing one drive controller? If so, this would explain why removing the USB drive made everything else seem faster...there was more bandwidth available.

Deadlines, I think, are not the way to analyze this. Your mining software would find the same deadlines on drives A, B & C regardless of whether drive D is present or not. Your probably just observing the typical round to round, day to day fluctuations we all see.

Maybe post a bit more information.

• @Evo They're not 8TB.
    I have a USB drive and an SD card plotted. The USB is 8GB (not TB), The SD card is 120GB. They both took forever to plot.
    I started mining with them enabled and I think it's not a good idea to use them because the speeds are extremely slow.
    The USB drive doesn't support 3.0, just 2.0 I think.

The 10-15MB/s were observed by Blago miner.
    But the write speeds, I think were about 20MB/s for both.

• @FurryFlutt, my apologies. Old eyes at the end of a long day. Yeah, the USB 2 kinda stinks and is the likely culprit. What are your options for upgrading to 3.0?

• @FurryFlutt with such small capacities you should not worry about mining speed, as it gets read probably in a few sec.

• @vExact said in 2 Slow devices bottlenecking my profit?:

@FurryFlutt with such small capacities you should not worry about mining speed, as it gets read probably in a few sec.

True!

• @Evo My options for upgrading aren't very good at the moment. I'm stuck with the highest I have which is 1.4TB until I am able to buy an Ext USB 3.0 HDD. I'm going to try to refrain from using Seagates unless that is the only viable option I have.

• @FurryFlutt in any case you may probably reduce the "CacheSize" parameter on your Blago's miner config file, and see if you get better speeds.

• @FurryFlutt, I hear you. I've expanded a little at a time as funds allowed. The Seagates really do work just fine for mining, and the prices are good. I wouldn't rule them out, especially if you are on a budget.

I just do this as a hobby, so I'm definitely NOT a pro. I plot several smaller files to a faster internal hard drive then copy them over to the Seagates. I just finished 5 of the 8TB units and it took a week. There was a power failure and a replot in there, plus I could only tend to them before and after work. I'm sure it could have been made more efficient. But still, what's one week for 40TB?

• So apparently, deleting those 2 plot files that had the worst read speeds ever, helped a lot. I've been getting better deadlines and being able to find more since I've done it.
    alt text