What is best OS for burst mining?

• Hello guys,

I am having a sysadmin friend of mine making me a list to build a 500 TB hdd mining rig,
    so my question here is simple, what OS are you using? and compared to other OS, what are the advantages and disadvantages?

Thanks!

• @languett89 said in What is best OS for burst mining?:

Hello guys,

I am having a sysadmin friend of mine making me a list to build a 500 TB hdd mining rig,
    so my question here is simple, what OS are you using? and compared to other OS, what are the advantages and disadvantages?

Thanks!

if you're asking what OS is best, you should NOT be spending money on all this, I realize there are sometimes subtle differences, but if thats your major question, you really need to pause for a moment because this is one of the least important questions to be honest... don't spend all that money before you understand the coin, you're likely going to be losing a lot of money that way, especially with the dramatic rise in difficulty any calculations you've made are likely overly generous at this point...

take a long pause and rethink what you're about to do, thats a LOT of money you're about to throw at something I suspect you don't have a very good grasp of... especially since you're asking which OS is best, it tells me you've looked very little into the software you would be using to notice there isn't much difference at all... don't spend money you can't afford to lose, but if you can afford to lose 500TB worth of HDD's, then by all means, throw money at the wall and hope it sticks...

I hope this didn't come across as too abrasive, but I see way too many people buying a lot of hardware with little to no understanding of how any of this works, and they are trying to make quick easy money, and NOTHING about this is going to be quick or easy if thats your big question... I don't want to see folks lose money...

• @languett89

freebsd:

• for me: runs for years, literally been mining 200+ tb on one box for two years before reboot
    • good headless infrastructure OS, minimal footprint, can serve basically any other function you might need
    • zfs: can configure caching, rock stable, no bad files (if done right; ECC, scrubs and eventually raidz)
    • zfs: you lose some 3% for hard reservation
    • no opencl for gpu plotting
    • upgrading can be a hassle

linux, centos

• opencl support for GPU plotting
    • stable
    • I personally don't like the fragmentation in the linux distro universe; dependency hell and bloat

The setup of an efficient miner (and foremost, plotter) is rather involved.
    You will need a good grasp of system engineering, as you are about to create and move several TB/day.
    And at the end you want the files to be stored logically AND physically sequential on the disks. Disk seeks are a killer here.
    A little shell scripting is advised. For 500+TB I'd suggest SAS JBODs, as USB3 at this scale is a pita.

• You don't have to worry about my budget, sir. Also, as I've mentioned above I have a friend who has a degree in IT, is a sysadmin for a big data company in montreal and is very knowledgeable. He is just wondering Linux (99% prob) or windows. As I've shown him your answer, he directly said, ''Though someone would simply point it out, but as I almost certain it's linux, i'll just look into the software and tell you in a bit''

• @vaxman said in What is best OS for burst mining?:

@languett89

freebsd:

• for me: runs for years, literally been mining 200+ tb on one box for two years before reboot
    • good headless infrastructure OS, minimal footprint, can serve basically any other function you might need
    • zfs: can configure caching, rock stable, no bad files (if done right; ECC, scrubs and eventually raidz)
    • zfs: you lose some 3% for hard reservation
    • no opencl for gpu plotting
    • upgrading can be a hassle

linux, centos

• opencl support for GPU plotting
    • stable
    • I personally don't like the fragmentation in the linux distro universe; dependency hell and bloat

My buddy says its a great idea, thanks for the tip

• @languett89 said in What is best OS for burst mining?:

You don't have to worry about my budget, sir. Also, as I've mentioned above I have a friend who has a degree in IT, is a sysadmin for a big data company in montreal and is very knowledgeable. He is just wondering Linux (99% prob) or windows. As I've shown him your answer, he directly said, ''Though someone would simply point it out, but as I almost certain it's linux, i'll just look into the software and tell you in a bit''

the fact you're showing "him" my answer tells me everything I said was correct, like I said, not trying to be abrasive, just trying to be a friendly person who says you need to pause for a moment, because you're making decisions based on limited knowledge, and thats ALWAYS something to "worry about my budget" as I see numerous folks come on these forums daily with the same get rich quick mentality of I'll just throw a ton of money a this, buy a ton of HDD's, and become the deadline king of the world... and one by one they are failing or disappointed in the results, because they simply didn't take the time to understand the whole picture...

but I guess you said not to worry about your budget, so who cares what I say... why are you only doing 500TB at this point, you should be doubling or tripling that right...

Looks like your connection to Burst - Efficient HDD Mining was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.