Worth it?

• Hello everybody,

I was wondering whether, as an individual, it' s worth buying + adding a mere 4-5TB hard drive dedicated to burst mining. Or would that simply be money gone down the drain?

Thanks in advance,
    ~Me

• @BamischijfTosti It depends on very different factors, mainly:

-your expectation when to ROI
    -where Burst will be in 1-3 years and your opinion on that.
    -where Burst will be in 1-3 years and their opionion of OTHERS on that, be it People start mining (thus increasing the Network over all which is basically good, but decreasing the Profit for each miner, at least in short term)
    -Also it has taken into account how many News Devs could be attracted as the Situation currently is somewhat.. poor.. compared.

So all in all too many variables. 5 TB wont hurt though, thats € 150-180.-, and after all its addicivte and fun... sometimes. 🙂

• @Marc Thanks for the elaborate response. I have done some research and have a positive outlook on burst's position in a couple of years. From what I have gathered, others also seem to be quite positive about it, so I think that I might get the 5TB drive once I finished trying out with my current hard disk 🙂

• @BamischijfTosti said in Worth it?:

Hello everybody,

I was wondering whether, as an individual, it' s worth buying + adding a mere 4-5TB hard drive dedicated to burst mining. Or would that simply be money gone down the drain?

Thanks in advance,
    ~Me

I think the best advice, is to use your existing hardware, and to make use of that, unless in the future you plan to have need for that extra HDD space, it doesn't make sense unless you're going to approach this as a business then, and at that point, the complexity of "is it worth it" becomes immense and there are a LOT of unknowns we simply can't predict...

if you simply make use of what you have, you're good... it means you won't be the biggest miner, it means you won't get the most burst, but it also means you have the least risk possible, because if you decide you don't want to do this anymore, just delete your plots and there is nothing else to do, and you won't have this empty HDD sitting around you don't have a need for...

I think thats the best possible advice at this time, if the network difficulty wasn't increasing as quick as it was the past month I may say one extra HDD wouldn't hurt, but at this point, people spending money, have to take a very serious and hard look at the reality of it all, and I think too many people are seeing dollar signs and not realizing their projections that well it used to take 6 months, now it'll take 12 months, when in reality it might takes several years to break even the way its going...

so use your existing hardware, make some small plots with spare space, join a pool friendly to smaller miners, and then see what happens after 30 days, maybe you decide hey this is neat lets keep doing it, or maybe you decide, this isn't what I thought and you can just delete plots and go back to every normal day living, no loss... (or as I suggested to someone who said he was going to either buy burst coins direct or mine them, you could just buy the coins if you're making the bet they will increase in value, just make sure you have an easy way to sell them and cash out if you see value drop and you no longer want to keep them anymore, without an exit strategy you should never get into something)