Which Burst Wallet Gives You The Most Trouble?

• This is a hot topics right now but not a lot of people say exactly which one. So, please cast your vote.

Picture of a kitty
    alt text

• can you be specific? what part of the wallet in trouble? also can you add "None of the Above"?

I just run the local wallet today, after i make the setting, run it and update the block chain I dont have any trouble so far .

• @socalguy I just voted the AIO wallet not because it gives me trouble directly (I don't normally use it) but because its what I see failing the most around the forums...

But I think the problems with the online wallets part is not due to the code of the AIO but because of the peers having being down this last weeks due to the DDoS attacks... And it maybe could handle the localwallet a little better by checking and keeping the neded updates up-to-date (or not, not sure lol) but that's something for @daWaIlet to know if its possible to do or not and do his best at it... ;D

• This is just a general question for now. We could get into the specifics later. For example, was it the java, firewall settings, or something else.

• I just use the Burstcoin Wallet v1.2.8 (All Platforms). It doesnt give me trouble, my vote is "none of the above".

Waiting for the blockchain to sync takes a while but it doesn't count as a trouble, it needs to be done for it to function.

• @gpedro said in Which Burst Wallet Gives You The Most Trouble?:

@socalguy I just voted the AIO wallet not because it gives me trouble directly (I don't normally use it) but because its what I see failing the most around the forums...

But I think the problems with the online wallets part is not due to the code of the AIO but because of the peers having being down this last weeks due to the DDoS attacks... And it maybe could handle the localwallet a little better by checking and keeping the neded updates up-to-date (or not, not sure lol) but that's something for @daWaIlet to know if its possible to do or not and do his best at it... ;D

Yes, online wallets have been attacked on daily basis. More online wallet options should come online in the future. But it's apparent that local wallets are causing a lot of grief.

This is also not a whitch hunt. I simply want to know which wallet is causing issues and try and help others with the solutions to those issues.

• @Yey_09 said in Which Burst Wallet Gives You The Most Trouble?:

I just use the Burstcoin Wallet v1.2.8 (All Platforms). It doesnt give me trouble, my vote is "none of the above".

Waiting for the blockchain to sync takes a while but it doesn't count as a trouble, it needs to be done for it to function.

Thank you. If you're not encountering issues then you're good to go.

• @socalguy said in Which Burst Wallet Gives You The Most Trouble?:

This is also not a whitch hunt. I simply want to know which wallet is causing issues and try and help others with the solutions to those issues.

I didn't got it that way at all and if it looks like that from what I wrote I'm sorry but I just pointed out what I see aroound in the forums as the most common problems... People having issues with the local wallets, from what I see, they are always using the AIO for windows by @daWaIlet ... If when they encounter this they tested with other software they would not give up that easily and would solve their problem, but daWallet is also a busy guy and I'm sure he doesn't read as many posts in here as I do, so I thought that feedback was important to point out for him to consider to implement some changes on the way that most of the problems come from the updates people get from java and IE, so if the software make sure the correct versions are installed and if not point to the right download place, things would work a lot better... I think it can be made by downloading the updates from a cloud daWallet (and possibly other trusted people) owns and controls what software needs to be there for the updates... That way everyone would install everything fine and will always be up-to-date... The same thing can be done with the blockchain download, or even implement SFTP transfers from proxy servers to avoid the DDoS attacks from that vector. And also this can be used for somekind of auto update on AIO software that can possibly be activated/de-activated as the user wishes...

• @socalguy said in Which Burst Wallet Gives You The Most Trouble?:

This is just a general question for now. We could get into the specifics later. For example, was it the java, firewall settings, or something else.

my problem was with the 1.2.7 I guess, now I see you're saying its 1.2.8 or something, I download, I install, I expect it to magically work, thats I would assume what 99% of people expect, especially those who like me the day I downloaded it, have NO idea what burst is, how it works, or what to do, we just were told this is a wallet, get it, and it does everything... however, everything did not happen...

so why didn't it work for me? well after weeks now, I finally decided to give it a go again and try to find out why, I started by deleting 32-bit java from my system, then once again redownloading someone elses blockchain file, then adding a bunch of peers and changing the minimum amount required to 4 and suddenly, it worked...

so was it an issue of 32-bit java being used? was it an issue of the blockchain being forked? was it an issue of the peers being ddos'd? was it an issue completely unrelated? I don't know, I'm still afraid to click the icon on my desktop and launch that, I just click "run" then click the URL link, which defeats the whole purpose of the AIO right, I literally am reducing the parts to single pieces to make them work...

I think when something is meant to make it easy for new users, and we need videos explaining how to use something, its not easy for new users and the process needs to be looked at, what would make it easier for new users, because the people involved are so informed on it, they aren't seeing this from a new users eyes...

it needs to start with the installers seeing if you have the necessary associated programs to use it first, it should detect if you have the correct 64-bit version of java it wants, before installing, if not, perhaps it could install the correct version it wants in the place it wants it at, and where all the other associated programs will look for it... then once it has all the associated files it needs in place, installs itself, perhaps it could then have all the major pools as nodes listed, and then one by one say "hey where can I download the blockchain since this is a new install" and then each one of those peers could in a nice way, have a text file the program can read where it can find blockchain downloads... a simple text file with maybe 5 mirrors kept by various individuals with time and date stamps so it can say, hey this is the latest updated lets try downloading that first... then it can show a download progress bar...

so now we installed the necessary associated programs, installed the AIO, and got a copy of the blockchain, the program can finally start up, process the data and walk the person through the process... essentially I shouldn't need a video telling me basically to NOT use the GUI, and to instead open the directory after I find the hidden pathfiles and data folders, only to click on one file, wait for an undetermined time with no progress update on when its going to work or if its working, and then click a URL that redirects me to my local machine anyhow... this is TOO much for a new person who understands little about computers or Burst in general... it should just be clicked, and work... thats how you bring in new folks to the fold, not "here is a link to a video that tells you how to do everything, but basically tells you not to use the GUI which is the whole reason you got this in the first place"...

when I was running my BBS back in the day, it was easy, the only people who found us were computer literate people, thats it, nobody else was going to... after I expanded and added dozens and dozens of phone lines we needed to create a package people could download or in most cases get at the local computer stores a floppy disk that would run a program and dial to our BBS direct, without them needing to understand what ATDT and all the funny codes meant, they just typed a command printed on the floppy, and it ran, and it connected with a generic string, and then stuff showed up and they could begin typing...

eventually when the internet came about and everything was a point-n-click interface we started getting folks who wanted to play the games but couldn't make heads or tails of the software, because it was originally setup for dialup not telnet connections, and when I repackaged all that and modified all the settings to work with a basic telnet connection, suddenly I took my system from 60-80 users on average playing games to hundreds and hundreds every single minute because nobody had to figure out how to make the software work, how to configure it for my system or telnet in general, they just clicked install, and then launched it, and I had basic settings for most systems that would just telnet and logon, and they could play, no knowledge needed on how or why it worked, I just packaged it all together, created the installer, and it just worked for them...

I think we're missing that, I think we're missing the prepackaged everything just works installer, so people don't have to "figure it out" and then quit when they can't, or don't know why something isn't working... I see the forums riddled with basic questions repeated again and again and again, and it all seems like stuff that could be tackled, if people stepped back, and looked at the process, and didn't require you to figure out you didn't have java, or didn't have a .net to download, or didn't have the correct C++ year installed... and then to figure out the blockchain and all that after the fact as well with countless errors finishing it off, I spent 8 hours three separate times trying to get the blockchain only to have it fail on me every single time at the end... and as you can see above, I still have ZERO clue why, I just know now, it suddenly works for me, but I still don't use the GUI out of fear thats why...

P.S. and I didn't even begin to touch on plotting or mining, I don't even know if the GUI does that, never got that far with it... if it does, I can only imagine its not any easier than the process I went through on my own trying to figure out what settings to use, rather than something that just scans available drives and says "how much space would you like to use on this drive" and then makes plots and keeps track of what plots I already have so it doesn't duplicate them... thats a wish it did this I guess, but thats how it should work, for those who don't know how to make things work through tons of trial and error... make it easy for the masses, and the masses will come to you, make it difficult, and you'll spend all day answering questions...

• @Darkbane said in Which Burst Wallet Gives You The Most Trouble?:

P.S. and I didn't even begin to touch on plotting or mining, I don't even know if the GUI does that, never got that far with it... if it does, I can only imagine its not any easier than the process I went through on my own trying to figure out what settings to use, rather than something that just scans available drives and says "how much space would you like to use on this drive" and then makes plots and keeps track of what plots I already have so it doesn't duplicate them... thats a wish it did this I guess, but thats how it should work, for those who don't know how to make things work through tons of trial and error... make it easy for the masses, and the masses will come to you, make it difficult, and you'll spend all day answering questions...

It does that in a easier way in fact but usually not so tweaked version as doing it manually... With the xPlotter I think that went better, but not sure... At least I see less people asking for help regarding that because xPlotter is more straightforward than the old plotter and already gives you optimized plots ;D

@Darkbane said in Which Burst Wallet Gives You The Most Trouble?:

It does that in a easier way in fact but usually not so tweaked version as doing it manually... With the xPlotter I think that went better, but not sure... At least I see less people asking for help regarding that because xPlotter is more straightforward than the old plotter and already gives you optimized plots ;D

well in a way I agree its setup to just use the CPU, always make optimized plots, and not really need much configuration if you have zero plots it will just start there every time... this is as close to "the basics" as we seem to have in Burst, and its the correct way I think to approach new users, don't make them figure it out, just do it for them... but I think even that could be improved by actually scanning the system for available drives, and saying "you have these drives, with this space, click a drive and lets get started, how much space would you like to use" and maybe a slider bar or percent entered... and since it can be stopped and resumed, its what SHOULD be pushed on new folks who might realize, holy crap this is going to run for days, I don't want to leave it run for days, okay click stop, and you can resume later on, but in the meantime, you could begin mining it...

I think this is whats needed most, a simple "click here, slide there, and presto you're plotting, and then presto you're mining" interface... the other plotters should pickup on this ease of use and expand upon it, thats what brings people into the fold, it was actually far easier for me to figure out plotting than getting the wallet to work, which is counter-intuitive since you need the wallet to begin the process really...

but I think thats the struggle, people with little to no computer experience want to be apart of this, and like my BBS, we need to create a package that makes it easy for them, once people become aware or advanced, assuming they choose to, they can refine the process, make it more efficient, or more tailored to their likes and dislikes, but right off the bat, JUST MAKE IT WORK, even if its not the best, you need to get the foot in the door before you sell the whole dream of what cryptocurrency can be... but if folks can't even get through the front door, they'll keep on walking...

ease of use should be priority, not efficiency, and that pains me to say, but its true... (however in this case, I think it can be both, but ease of use needs to be priority)

• @Darkbane What you described is pretty close to what exists in the AIO for plotting and mining without the stop and continue plotting button... That would be a little harder to implement i think, but maybe a do in background option could be good...

@Darkbane What you described is pretty close to what exists in the AIO for plotting and mining without the stop and continue plotting button... That would be a little harder to implement i think, but maybe a do in background option could be good...

heh ironic if it does, but see, I wouldn't know, because I'm afraid to launch the GUI because of all the issues I had just trying to get it working with the blockchain I never got to find that out... and thats the whole issue, I never got to the point I could just click the desktop icon and make it work, and thats the giant shame of it all... its driving so many folks out and away, that you can't grow the community like you could, or more importantly, grow the value of the coin if people give up before starting...

you lose value every time someone quits because things didn't work, because that was one more person who may have bought Burst, or started to mine and bring in people who would buy it, so much potential is lost right from the start... I've tried helping several folks with the exact same issues I had, so I know its not unique to me, and there is a giant disconnect somewhere when I need to watch a video to figure out a way around something designed to just be clicked and work... the process is broke, maybe not for all, but enough to scare people away from it...

I would love to dive into the "you need burst to get started" issue as well, but I suspect thats another problem for another day, that too turns people off who suddenly went through all the work to get it going, and now can't get it going because another roadblock was put in front of them... I understand some of the reasons for the "starter burst" but there are just too many stops signs on this road...

• Hi , am new for this coin , but sync took like 2 days and on other computer crashed - then deleted and now resynk .
    I have seen that wallet as program taked 13 gb of hdd with is INSANE .
    Android version was ok for me , i don't know for others

All the faucets for burst were dead .
    Chould anyone help me with 2 burst please ?
    BURST-XM7Y-9Z2F-EAN6-DUR65
    I promise i will give back if i can star mining.

• @irimia91 said in Which Burst Wallet Gives You The Most Trouble?:

Chould anyone help me with 2 burst please ?
    BURST-XM7Y-9Z2F-EAN6-DUR65

sent some.

• admin

I have the most trouble with the Burst Client for Windows.

It will get better. Just give it some time.

• they are all the same core jar. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• I just run a wallet daemon on my NAS then I can just navigate to it from any computer or tablet at home at 192.168.1.x:8125 and access from anywhere and I never close it so it just stays synced. never had a problem.

• Thank you to everyone that voted. Yet, with all the posted comments about how the "wallet" doesn't work, you would think the vote results would be bigger. ¯\_ (ツ) _/¯

@Darkbane I agree with what you said. Wallets are the representatives of Burst. The easier folks can start the better. I think there is a lot of usefulness with crypto and I doubt this is a beanie baby type trend. More people are going to get involved so the software shouldn't get in the way.

But with all crypto, even bitcoin, there is a level of computer knowledge that people need to have before getting involved. If you don't have that, you're going to have a hard time with cryptocurrency. I'm taking online courses just to keep up with the tech. Also, most of the issues people encounter have already been solved here at the forum. It may not be an easy search, but the answer is here.

I have a lot of respect for the devs that create and maintain the software for Burst. I get a lot of private/public comments about the .party pool. So, I can imagine the comments both in private and public they receive on a daily basis. I hope the dev funds are finally in the appropriate hands and development can continue. Nobody wants to work entirely for free.