Why is Burst the only HD mining coin?

• @vExact Storj is not a mining/blockchain project but dedicating your HD space waiting for "contracts", aka other users asking for decentraliced storage space, complete different Thing. Many users have reported that a. technically inferior and b. worthless as eg. dedicating 1TB for a month but only getting contracts for 100 GB thus getting paid only Peanuts makes it worthless (currently).

Filecoin, dunno, but at a short glance it looks dead, so question remains.:

If POC mining really is the best thing since sliced bread hit the scene.. why is there only 1 brand of sliced bread available at the supermarkets?

• Of the 700 coins that there are that bring something new ???
    Behind coins like bitcoin there is a huge community and that makes many options and services can be created almost free.
    For example, to create a currency like doge based on bitcoin the changes that have to be made are minimal, besides that you have opensource scripts to create pools, explorers of blocks etc.
    Possibly to create something like burst you need to invest an amount of money that not everyone is willing to invest.
    If instead of being a community of 10000 or 20000 miners we were a million, surely other coins would appear.
    Years ago I started with bitcoin and then I went with other currencies and you get into either the GPU mining or the asics that it costs to look at more

• @Marc said in Why is Burst the only HD mining coin?:

Filecoin, dunno, but at a short glance it looks dead, so question remains.:
    If POC mining really is the best thing since sliced bread hit the scene.. why is there only 1 brand of sliced bread available at the supermarkets?

Don't know either. If you read though the white paper available in the Burst official website, those researchers propose a coin called SpaceMint (basically Burst), and yes, so far it is is the only one using Proof of Space. StoreJ and that filecoin (which I don't know why you say it looks dead) use Proofs of storage/retrievability.

• funny this came up.. when i first found burst i spent a few days looking for its competitor to see if i was diving into the right POC coin.. found only storj and sia ... which arent the same obviously so i stopped looking when i found out this is really the only capacity mineable coin.

• btw i think sia is very inexpenive right now.. for you traders out there.

• @darindarin sia is my alternative since burst mining is not really working out :-p

• @darindarin everytime i buy sia i get so wrecked i gave up on that coin lol

• I know this topic is old, but I have seen the question asked many times online and never answered.

Why is Burst the only PoC coin out there? Why?

Like other coins everything about Burst is open source right? So anyone can fork and create anything without massive development investment right? Like all of the Bit-forks that sprang up.

If that is true, then it is even more of a mystery why no other baby Bursts exist.

Most of us here are probably Burst enthusiasts, I love the technology and mining it is more fun than minimg ethereum, even though my Burst paydays are in pennies and my ETH paydays are in dollars.

I really want to know if the technology and platform are so great, especially with what I read about new developments such as Tangles, why there are no other players in PoC

• @coryburstecuador HDD mining costs an extreme amt of time to set up. because of this there is little enticing a developer to go POC because the community has to grow and HDD plotting is slow.

There's no money in starting a new POC coin from a dev's perspective unless it has a masternode component in it and another bit of information according to my research with masternodes: Minable, POW/ Masternode projects are the least common.

I believe because they actually require technical knowledge to produce. These cookie cutter projects are all reiterations of the same old tech. 99% of all coins are just copy cats.

• I know a project that will have POC and will keep community informed. This project is being built from ground up!