Plot Size VS Mining Speed

• Hi guys can you tell me which one more important Plot size or mining speed? lets says i have 2 different rig

1. 500 TB plot size and 50 MB/s speed
    2. 50 TB plot size and 500 MB/s Speed

which one will get better burst (in average) ?

• @shirotama #2 is better because the 50 TB will be done in less than 30 secs. The average block will never let you read the full 500TB for #1. However that is an extreme hypothetical. 10/1 read speed.

• @rds wrong. Assuming the average block time is 4 minutes, the 500TB rig will be able to read more nonces than the 50TB rig in 4 minutes. Meaning you will get more like 80TB effectively out of the 500TB rig. Excuse my napkin math though, it may be wrong.

• @rds hi thank you for replying, and one more question do mining speed are come from internet connection or more from core feature (like sse avx etc)? i mean can mining speed exceed internet connection ?

• admin

@shirotama Mining speed is CPU bound - the faster the CPU and the higher feature set, the faster you can mine, upto the limit of your HDD read speed.

• @kev626 ,

At 500Mb/s, the 50TB rig reads at ~25 sec. The 500TB rig is only at 5TB in 25 secs. The 500TB rig takes 4 min to read 50 TB. So, on second thought I'll say the 50 TB is still better but for a different reason. The extra scanned nonces on the 500TB rig for blocks that last longer than 4 minutes do not offset the extra cost of the 450TB and the extra power used to run the system.

• admin

@rds you're correct, for the speeds quoted, but those speeds are not real world - 500TB will read a lot faster than 50MB/s - I've got 150TB that reads at up to 1200MB/s, hell a single SATA drive will read faster than that. At real world feeds and speeds, capacity always trumps speed.

• @haitch said in Plot Size VS Mining Speed:

@rds you're correct, for the speeds quoted, but those speeds are not real world - 500TB will read a lot faster than 50MB/s - I've got 150TB that reads at up to 1200MB/s, hell a single SATA drive will read faster than that. At real world feeds and speeds, capacity always trumps speed.

I know, I was just staying within the parameter of the hypothesis presented. It's possible the OP was referring to a 2.0 USB?

• @rds said in Plot Size VS Mining Speed:

@haitch said in Plot Size VS Mining Speed:

I know, I was just staying within the parameter of the hypothesis presented. It's possible the OP was referring to a 2.0 USB?

hi no i am not refering to 2.0 USB it just hypothetical question, i just try to balance the both of it when i make that example