Virus Detection of Wallet (Download) from the official Website (19 out of 64)

• Hey, I used to mine burst but couldnt find the time to manage the stuff so I stopped it. Recently I thought why not try it again but my wallet somehow wasn't working, so I deinstalled (deleted) it and wanted to redownload it. But in the middle of downloading the file my antivirus said there is a virus in the file (Im using avast). Well I thought that was a false positive because I trust the burst community and everything, but when I stopped my antivirus and downloaded it, I uploaded it to virustotal. Shockingly 19 out of 64 Engines Detected it as a virus. I dont really believe its a virus (most likely something that triggers it--> false positive) but Im generally very cautious when it comes to such stuff, so I wanted to ask here if anybody knows anything about that?

Virus-Total: https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/600b0e4f40ffffcd8cc8b7ef6fab51380990d4ef547666710783d9b4ad49bb9b/detection

The download link of the wallet: https://sourceforge.net/projects/burstwindowswallet/

(The download link is from the official https://www.burst-team.us page, when you go to "Download Wallet)

But I even tried downloading it from https://www.burst-coin.org/
    My AV still blocks the file.

Any help?

• files can be flagged as suspicious in voluntary by jerks. As for heuristically AV companies have to verify the unknown true nature of the files before removing the flag and usually it takes too long (new wallet versions happen sooner) Therefore your AV provider has most likely been abused. Another explanation is a middleman attack has occurred to you whilst the data is in transit downloading to your PC. (most unlikely) another explanation could be the repository has had its password compromised (almost impossible) My opinion is that it is a false positive I have downloaded it and ran it on Norton, and Avira also Microsoft. No infection. If possible, people could try to un flag it? BTW the wallet can cease to function normally when anti virus and malware software's start a sandbox protection mechanism to isolate a supposedly suspicious program usually to the point of stalling it.

• @ZapbuzZ said in Virus Detection of Wallet (Download) from the official Website (19 out of 64):

files can be flagged as suspicious in voluntary by jerks. As for heuristically AV companies have to verify the unknown true nature of the files before removing the flag and usually it takes too long (new wallet versions happen sooner) Therefore your AV provider has most likely been abused. Another explanation is a middleman attack has occurred to you whilst the data is in transit downloading to your PC. (most unlikely) another explanation could be the repository has had its password compromised (almost impossible) My opinion is that it is a false positive I have downloaded it and ran it on Norton, and Avira also Microsoft. No infection. If possible, people could try to un flag it? BTW the wallet can cease to function normally when anti virus and malware software's start a sandbox protection mechanism to isolate a supposedly suspicious program usually to the point of stalling it.

Ah okay thanks a lot. Another question, where should I download the wallet from? burst-team.us or burstcoin.org? I think when I left burstcoin.org was just in development and Im not really sure anymore, is burst-team.us still the official Page or is burstcoin.org now? Or both?

And also, why isnt the software signatured? Shouldnt it be easy for developers to make a trusted signature on their software?

• @theoneandonely www.burst-team.us has been replaced by www.burst-coin.org and is redirecting to it.

• @Gadrah_
    Ahh alright thanks

• Some antivirus softwares detect mining softwares as viruses. AIO wallet is one that can be flagged due to that.

• i got the same thing with the windows security scanner

both portable witch was a java jar file and the installer.

i tried the download on a mac and even chrome witch is an older version warned me too.

i am now running the scanner to clean up the damage.

a suggestion to you developers: you may want to register your client with the antivirus makers as being safe

• @ejonesss There was no damage, your antivirus Programm just deletes the files. They did no harm to your computer. Also I think antivirus companies charge money for that and it's not easy.

• i am rescanning to make sure that the installed files do not contain the virus

if they charge then tell us users on the download page "security software may flag this as "blah blah virus" it is safe

• update: i ran the scan again and nothing found and i even redownloaded and reinstalled and nothing found so maybe after i updated the definitions for the built in windows security scanner it was told that bitcoin miners are safe despite chrome saying it is dangerous

• @ejonesss one thing most folks don't consider is that programs with relatively few downloads in todays internet world will automatically be flagged as "suspicious" since they haven't built up enough reputation for the scanners to mark them as okay... so when people talk about "false-positive" flagging, its generally this occurring... simply put, it was smart of the scanning companies to flag "new" programs as something to be concerned about, but they have done a TERRIBLE job at letting end users know that is why the particular program was flagged and removed... they should clearly inform the user the scanner didn't find anything, but because its such a new program the person may want to reconsider using it, and then make them jump through hoops and click a bunch of confirms before letting them... since thats how most malicious software spreads, its so new it doesn't have entries yet as malicious or safe, so its assumed malicious by default...

this doesn't mean you should ignore those warnings though, always take them serious and never just assume this is the cause, I just wish they all were better at reporting why things are marked sometimes as suspicious and removed...

Once You Know, You Newegg

Looks like your connection to Burst - Efficient HDD Mining was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.