Mining on USB 2.0 Hardware

• With so many USB 2.0 cheap hardware for sale out there I would be interested in opinions about that, pros, cons. I know about read times but wonder with the new 0-100 pools this effect isnt somewhat nullified.

Also know that some currently using that, buying cheap Hardware and mining that, even built a somewhat successfull asset out of is - Satoshis mountain, no?

Interested to hear opinions.

• @Marc , not good unless you only have a very small capacity. But then you won't earn any significant amount anyway. 2.0 is just too slow.

• @Marc said in Mining on USB 2.0 Hardware:

With so many USB 2.0 cheap hardware for sale out there I would be interested in opinions about that, pros, cons. I know about read times but wonder with the new 0-100 pools this effect isnt somewhat nullified.

Also know that some currently using that, buying cheap Hardware and mining that, even built a somewhat successfull asset out of is - Satoshis mountain, no?

Interested to hear opinions.

this seems like a bit of a loaded question that can be both yes and no... yes it can work if you do it right, no it won't if you do it wrong...

USB 2.0 is what 480mbit so 60MB/s read speeds, but you have to account for overhead and other factors so you'll be lucky to connect one modern HDD per controller card and only get a portion of those speeds, making it expensive when you consider how many controllers you can fit into a machine... rather limiting...

but maybe you only plan to have a couple drives, and your current USB 2.0 card can't give you anymore speeds, so maybe it would be nice to get a few cheap cards people are practically throwing away for pennies on the dollar and double or triple your current speeds with your limited size and no plans to expand...

so... yes... and... no... it depends...

although I'm not sure what angle you're taking with the 0-100 pool somehow mitigating things, you still have to beat all the other people trying to win, so its important to get through ALL of your drives before the network moves on and you might potentially miss finding a better deadline right? nothing worse than reading 75% of your drives and a new block starts, you just gave up 25% of your potential...

P.S. and just to touch on HDD speeds, each one of my drives can sustain 240MB/s read speeds, I get roughly 175MB/s with jminer and 100MB/s with blago (AVX not AVX2)... so you can see I am well beyond the 60MB/s USB 2.0 speeds so there are lots to consider... if you have old slow HDD's, maybe you weren't going to get better than 60MB/s anyhow, but if you're using modern fast drives, its a bottleneck...

• Thx for answers, esp. @Darkbane

I have Hardware sitting around actually doing nothing so was thinking about using it. Its old like I3, 4GB RAM, but not "that" old.. got my Hands on some TB for very cheap like 6-7 $/TB so will give it a try, prop. will Report when everything is set up/plotted prob. within 1-2 weeks. Plotting on modern usb 3.0 hw and currently mining 20TB ~ 160MB/sec seems ok, transfering the plots to the usb 2.0 stuff and see how it goes.

• @Marc you could absolutely try this in smaller capacities, and yes, 0-100 will help out a little with stability, but on shorter blocks you may be screwed. I have a good pool for small capacities you could try if you need one.

• @Marc
    8tb is about the most I can get out of 2.0 within 60 seconds. The key for me is the SATA drives mixed with the USB 2.0 on the older El cheapo rigs. My best 2.0 miner has 8tb of SATA and 6tb of USB.