Are two 40TB Rigs better than one 80tb Rig?

• If have seen where some minters have multiple accounts but I am trying to understand if two 40TB rigs is better than one 80TB rig.

Ok for starters I can see the Pro's and Con's of each option.

Pros

• You can mine different pools at the same time
    • You can do maintenance and improvements on one rig while the second rig is still mining, thus not being down if you only had one 80TB rig

Con's

• Your investment is higher e.g. 2 of everything except the drives
    • More electricity costs

So my question is;

1. What is more profitable? One 80TB rig or two 40TB rigs (all things being equal)

Comments suggestions all welcome
    Digidigm

• @Digidigm , as your interest grows, so does the capacity. I started with a $250 laptop and 80TB on 1 usb 3.0 port. The port could not handle any more drive.

Next came a dedicated, headless desktop unit with 4USB cards and six internal SATA. 200TB

Finally came a used, 5 year old 36 bay dual CPU server. 288TB

Each machine mines a different account. Although during plotting, at one time I was mining all 3 accounts on the server.

• @Digidigm If you look at the results only oriented at [email protected], the 1x80/2x40 rigs are totally equal.
    You can easily plot two identities on one machine, and mine on two different pools with one machine. You most likely have a multitasking capable operating system. 😎

I'm actually running 4 IDs on one machine. The results are rather interesting, as I have two IDs with (10 and 36 TB) on the same pool. After running ~a month, the larger miner is way behind in earnings (1:2.7 instead of 1:3.6). I guess a month is not enough, but i'm too lazy to compute the actual time frame for a sound probability.

• @rds Thank you I can see very easily I can see how that can happen.

• @rds I have to ask, I am new to the forum, what does it mean when someone UPVOTEs ones post?

Also I went online and saw the 36 bay dual CPU server I WANT ONE !!! I HAVE TO HAVE ONE !!!
    And you can put a GPU In them... Geeezzz you can own the burst coin mining world with one of those.
    🙂

• @Digidigm , upvote means you like the post.

Make sure the backplane for the server is sas 2 or you won't be able to put in any hdds bigger than 2TB. I put a gpu in mine, but a cheap $29 one to improve the display on the remote access, it's a headless server.

About owning the mining world. I hit 5 blocks yesterday but none today (yet), so not quite "owning".

Update, just hit a block, so no shutout today 🙂

• @rds Kudos my friend. Sounds very impressive. I work in technology and just started in this world about 45 days ago. If I knew then what I have learned so far. But I digress. Thanks for the tip on the server. Building my first rig. I expect it to be 40 TB +/- and like you, connected via SATA cables to the MOBO. (Feel like such a noooob).

Thats what sparked the topic of 1-80 vs 2-40s. I am going to install a GPU card I already have on hand to help with performance of mining using Jminer.

Do you GPU mine or CPU mine if I may ask?

Digidigm

• for mining pourposes the amount of burst you will earn 2 X 40TB vs 1 X 80TB will be exactly the same. the choice to use ither will come down to how big you want to expand in the future and how soon you want to expand to at the min more than 1 rig can handle if you are going to wait a wile to expand i would recommend 1 rig with 80TB so you have less going out in electric cost to run it. vs if you plan on expanding soon then yes go for 2 rigs the cap on size of a rig will varry from rig to rig but keep track of bottle necks. #1 keep read time low pref under 1 min do this with multicore CPU if cpu mining or a solid GFX card for gpu mining. also speed of data connections SATA6g / USB 3.0 ect also if you can find stats on them figure out what will cap your USB3 controller i have seen some die after X number of drives are connected and some after X amount of TB's are connected reguardless of number or size of drives .. for a large rig using USB 3.0 its all about how many controllers and not about how many USB slots you can always turn 1 slot into 5+ with a 3.0 Hub. to max your rig go for single 8tb drives vs multiple under 4tb drives ....... unless you run into a stash of smaller ones for cheep cheep.

• @Gibsalot Thanks for the useful information. When you talk about "READ TIMES" are you referring to the column in the image below where it says Thread c:\Burst Plots @ 0.3

Specifically the numbers right after the @ sign?

0_1508731113129_readtimes.JPG

• Disregarding previous posts I will write my response in perspective:

Each rig must read its disks in 60 seconds.
    Capacity can increase up to 60 seconds read time per round.
    This is the benchmark of your capacity limit.
    Dividing into 2 systems will not do anything unless it lowers the read limit under 60 seconds.
    Laptops may be limited with capacity but it can be increased by using a quality external usb hub to plug multiple external disks into 1 usb hub.

• @rds,

I use Blago CPU for the server, read time 30 sec. Blago for the laptop, there is no GPU and GPU for the desktop unit, read time 43 sec.

• @Gibsalot said in Are two 40TB Rigs better than one 80tb Rig?:

for mining pourposes the amount of burst you will earn 2 X 40TB vs 1 X 80TB will be exactly the same.

correct if you are solo mining. And 80 TB can easily solo mine.

After just one month on a pool it is a bit early to draw conclusions, but I guess one would be losing to much to the small miners with a 40+ TB rig. Unless you want to support a specific pool or pools in general.

From an easy to operate-point-of-view I'd suggest a SAS JBOD (like the 36slot) as it is mostly shoot-and-forget. But in the system-builts section you'll find a half-a-Petabyte farm based on USB3 .. YMMV
    https://forums.burst-team.us/topic/5646/my-1-2-petabyte/3
    https://ibb.co/h82hAv

• @Digidigm said in Are two 40TB Rigs better than one 80tb Rig?:

@Gibsalot Thanks for the useful information. When you talk about "READ TIMES" are you referring to the column in the image below where it says Thread c:\Burst Plots @ 0.3

Specifically the numbers right after the @ sign?

0_1508731113129_readtimes.JPG

correct , it will list the time stamp for time spent scanning as each drive finishes scanning ... if you have a drive failing or one with read issues that can give you a heads up if a drive's scan time suddenly changes drasticly .... just remember the times are as each drive is finished not a list for each individual drive ..... GPU / CPU can only scan so many drives at a time so some may not even start ontell another has finished , also size / RPM / data connection speed all factor in ... most people use Xplotter witch plots fully optimised but if you happen to use GPU plotter or even the old Wplotter make sure you optimise your plots .... its basicly like running disk defrag on your drives and reogonising the data for optimum read times it can help alot

• @Gibsalot @ZapbuzZ

So the read times I have displayed are well within reasonable range e.g. under 1.0 min? Or better said, any rig should read all drives in under 1 min? Am I saying that correctly?

• @Digidigm , most people talk about read times as the final value in seconds for the entire farm of plot files to scan. Anything over 60 seconds, you may be losing some opportunity during fast block periods.

• @Digidigm basicly what @rds said as for read times your only interested in how long it takes to read all drives , so only look at the last drive completed .. that will give you the total time it took to scan all drives you want to try and keep that number less than 1 min .... however block time average is 4 min so going over 1 min is not big issue but there are fast blocks that are well under 4 min and it is during those blocks that its possible to loose out on a possible block forge that you may have the best DL but it takes you to long to scan and find that DL.

• @Gibsalot ok so if understand you correctly. If we go back to my image that I posted. Your saying that it took 3.3 Seconds to read all of the 4 plotted drives I have ? Which I find difficult to understand because it took

.3 sec for C:\
    1.0 sec for F:\
    3.0 sec for E:\
    That right there is 4.3 seconds, am I missing something here?

• @rds said in Are two 40TB Rigs better than one 80tb Rig?:

@Digidigm , upvote means you like the post.

Make sure the backplane for the server is sas 2 or you won't be able to put in any hdds bigger than 2TB. I put a gpu in mine, but a cheap $29 one to improve the display on the remote access, it's a headless server.

About owning the mining world. I hit 5 blocks yesterday but none today (yet), so not quite "owning".

Update, just hit a block, so no shutout today 🙂

@rds Man I cannot stop thinking about this. Is this what your talking about, click the link below? It mentions that it has a sas2.

Ebay Storage array, click here

• @Digidigm , yes, this is bare bones though. No memory, no controller card, 24 threads. Also this is a 24 bay, 4U height. Pro- you can put in full size GPU, Con- you're missing 12 bays for 96TB more Hdds.

So in the same 4U height, you can get a 36 bay cabinet but the PCI cards are the low profile type. If you want a big GPU then the 24 bay is the way to go.

I bought mine on Ebay from "MrRackables", a supermicro 2x-xeon processors, 2.9ghz (4.1 turbo) 32 threads total. The one I got had the SAS controller card pre setup to handle all 36 drives. Plug them in and go. I also opted for 96GB of RAM. Don't really need it but the price diff between 48 and 96 was ~$120.

Xplotter runs at ~30,000, nonces/min. CPU mining scans 288TB in ~30 seconds.

Do your homework, there are plenty out there , mine was ~$1600 shipped, but other than the HDDS, the only other thing I added was 1 USB 3.0 card for $16 and a GPU for $29.

One more thing you miss looking at just pictures. These things are loud!! There are 8 fans in mine running at 7000 RPM. There are options using the IPMI supervisory system to set fan control so that when the server is idling, the fans slow down, but every new block sounds like a 737 taking off.

My unit draws about 650 watts when running hard (mine scan, xplotter running, nicehash background mining).

• @rds Dam I am impressed, like I said I work in technology but as a PM not a hands on Techie but I know enough to get into some real trouble. 🙂 Did I understand right, the $1600 you paid included the Hdds?

I can't say here where I work but you cannot begin to imagine the stuff we decommission when it is EOL. It is almost a crime when we go into re-furbish mode. And as for loud yes I already know. The guys on the network team like to setup their switches at their desk and they fire them up with just one PS and those things sound like a get engine.