[NOOB] Needs help with building a super fast plotting computer!

• I just came across BURST mining and found it quickly very interesting, proof of HDD capacity is completely new for me. My company currently run only SHA256 ( bitcoin mining ) but we are going to expand into BURST mining now.

Correct me if I do get something wrong, I want to learn and contribute to BURST.

We ordered 200 TB, but quickly realised that the computer that our system runs from only have 16GB ram and its taking forever with plotting.

So we want to upgrade and build a computer that can do the plotting fast, since we are looking to get up to 1000TB in the short term.

My question is:

1. Is it possible to get help from the community to build a computer with the purpose of making plotting fast as possible?

2. I been looking on ASUS X99-E WS since I see it can run 128 GB RAM, what do we accully need to get the plotting as fast as possible? ( I used the Qbundle and saw RAM and CPU was the only thing we needed for the plotting ) correct me if I`m wrong.

3. If you would build the perfect plotting computer, how would you build it? ( all parts )

or have I got it completely wrong that I need GPU GB and not alot of GB in RAM​​

• Maybe @haitch will help you here. I read somewhere in the forum here, that he can plot around 25tb a day. Correct me if i am wrong. And as far as i know CPU is more necessary than RAM.

Also make sure you purchage PMR disk, not SMR.

There are topics here in the forum and for sure you will find info about that.

• i would say that xeon CPUs are the way to go, cheap ones, or if you want to go balls deep go with threadripper, and will probably plot faster than Haitch's

need opinion @haitch

• a normal i7 7700k will plot 8tb a day.
    I would go for a threadripper.

You are fine with 16gb of ram.

• @hidevin Thanks for the reply!

@Zaziki So 128GB ram does not make the plotting faster ?
    RAM and threads was the only option I could pick when plotting and I saw the more RAM I used the faster nonces/min got

BOTH

I will check out Threadripper.

• @rafal_jakobsen i tried it out up to 64gb ram, i did not see any inprovement for speed.

• @rafal_jakobsen said in [NOOB] Needs help with building a super fast plotting computer!:

Threadripper

Would this work?

• Corsair TX750M, 750W PSU

• AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X Prosessor
      Socket-TR4, 16-Core, 32-Thread, 4.0GHz, 180W

• Corsair Hydro Series H115i CPU
      280mm Radiator, 115x//2011/2011-3/2066, AM2/AM3, TR4, 2000 RPM, 104 CFM

• ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 Expedition OC
      Skjermkort, PCI-Express 3.0, GDDR5, 1582/1771MHz, Pascal

or should I pick

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC Skjermkort, PCI-Express 3.0, 11GB GDDR5X, 1518/1632MHz, RGB, Pascal

• ASUS Prime X399-A, Socket-TR4
      E-ATX, X399, DDR4, 4xPCIe-x16, SLI/CFX, 2xM.2, Aura Sync

• Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 32GB
      4x8GB 2666MHz DDR4 CL16 SR x8 Unbuffered DIMM

• Samsung PM961 SSD 512GB M.2 NVMe
      V3 TLC, Polaris, up to 2800/1600MB/s read/write, PCIe 3.0 x4, prod only

• @rafal_jakobsen don't need beefy GPU, use blago avx2 miner if ur getting threadripper, and xplotter to plot.

i would skimp out on gpu and also a 100gb SSD will be fine to store the os on,

• @hidevin said in [NOOB] Needs help with building a super fast plotting computer!:

blago avx2 miner

But will not a beefy GPU help with the plotting speed? I want to make it as fast as possible.

• This post is deleted!

• no - no gpu - you are better if u build a cheap second plotter for that money

• @rafal_jakobsen for plotting years ago, I used several r9-280x (170 MB/s ea.) and TeslaFermis (50 MB/s ea. IIRC). You need to put that datarate (Vega56: 300 MB/s easily) onto disk, and it does not come as a continuous stream but is rather spikey (for me: single R9-280x: 700 MB/s).
    So I suggest the following:

• plot with gpuplot (see software section) into a fast PMR stripe
    • optimize/merge (e.g. dcct, software section) from there to the target disks/arrays
      this way you don't need more than 16 GB of RAM in the plotting machine
    • when utilizing 2 staging stripes you can plot and optimize in parallel,
      giving you maximum possible throughput
    • when using 2 GPUSs, use 4 staging stripes...
    • when using a copy-on-write filesystem (like zfs, btrfs) SMR drives as targets are no problem.

• @zaziki if we look away from the price, all I really want is the fastest plotting computer as possible. I heard GPU plotting is much faster, isnt this correct?

or is it all based on CPU ?

• @rafal_jakobsen the answer is: it depends.

• opencl on GPU gives you a lot more nonces/minute/WATT than CPU-cores, be it avx2- or sse-code.
    • the setup (opencl environment) is way more involved
    • if you happen to have a threadripper or some 40+ v3/v4/v5 cores sitting idle, go for that.

• @vaxman

1. Will Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC Skjermkort, PCI-Express 3.0, 11GB GDDR5X, 1518/1632MHz, RGB, Pascal not handle it better then r9-280x and TeslaFermis ?

2. So if I go for AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X Prosessor Socket-TR4, 16-Core, 32-Thread, 4.0GHz, 180W it compensate for the GPU ( then I just plot with the CPU instead of the GPU? )

3. QBUNDLE its CPU + RAM right?

4. another topic:
      When you mine BURST do you use GPU or CPU ? ( not the plotting )

• @rafal_jakobsen said in [NOOB] Needs help with building a super fast plotting computer!:

1. Will Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC Skjermkort, PCI-Express 3.0, 11GB GDDR5X, 1518/1632MHz, RGB, Pascal not handle it better then r9-280x and TeslaFermis ?

I just said I was using antique GPUs, not that you should use them.
    If buying new for this specific purpose, I'd prefer AMD as their opencl is usually faster /$.
    But I don't have any numbers on actual cards, as I've quit GPU crunching years ago, from that I happen to have 4 of ea. type of old GPU left..

1. So if I go for AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X Prosessor Socket-TR4, 16-Core, 32-Thread, 4.0GHz, 180W it compensate for the GPU ( then I just plot with the CPU instead of the GPU? )

You may go for a high core count on CPU or have a GPU doing plotting and later mining.
    You can have both - might not be economical.
    I mine using a CPU avx2-code (mdcct), which is rock stable. I did not use jminer (opencl on GPU) and have no experience with that software.

1. QBUNDLE its CPU + RAM right?

I don't know, as I despise GUIs and only use command-line tools; scriptable !

1. another topic:
      When you mine BURST do you use GPU or CPU ? ( not the plotting )

see 2. above.

• admin

@rafal_jakobsen Go with the threadripper 1950X system. To be able to simultaneously plot multiple drives you're going to want additional RAM. My threwadripper systems have 128GB, and I can comfortably plot 5 drives at once - probably more, but this system only had 5

• @haitch said in [NOOB] Needs help with building a super fast plotting computer!:

@rafal_jakobsen Go with the threadripper 1950X system. To be able to simultaneously plot multiple drives you're going to want additional RAM. My threwadripper systems have 128GB, and I can comfortably plot 5 drives at once - probably more, but this system only had 5

You could also go the "old" haitch way and acquire a four socket-2011 system, as this will be much cheaper to buy (not to run, though).
    <grin>

• admin

@vaxman That also works, though I have to say the Threadripper is way quieter, and much better for marital bliss ..... ;-)

• @vaxman said in [NOOB] Needs help with building a super fast plotting computer!:

You could also go the "old" haitch way and acquire a fo

Thanks!