[NOOB] 40000 n/m - whats next?

• So let me start of with where we are in our journey!

I start reading about Burst and Burst mining less then 1 month ago, I am a partner of a mining company in Norway where we have been mining Bitcoin and general GPU crypto over the past few years.

Proof of Capacity is something that really catched our mind and we believe it will be HUGE in the future so we taking action to get it up and running.

After researching how Proof of Capacity works and how to mine we quickly discovered that this is abit different then what we are used to with the plotting and so on.

First thing we did is to find out how we could get the best n/m based on CPU plotting and we ordered AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X Prosessor with Corsair Hydro Series H115i to optimize our n/m with CPU.

Yesterday we get our equipment and did our first plotting test on the new equipment and the result was 40000 n/m and now we have afew questions to take the next step.

Our plan is to first plot then optimize file then start mining, we will do CPU mining not GPU mining.

1. We have now 85TB and have started plotting it, our goal is to get up to 1000TB within a short timeframe / 2-6 months. How should we do the plotting? Should we use all our CPU/RAM to run 1 and 1 HDD or should we split it and run more HDD at the same time. In case the last one is the best way to go, how should we split it / settings?

2. 40000 n/m is that ok? or should we run 2 CPU to get it to 80000 n/m ?

3. We have not yet selected a pool that we are going to mind with, what pool should we use? "this is where we really get confused, the pool question" everybody is saying different pools."

4. Solo Mining, is it worth solo mining if we have a good reading speed. Our new computer for Burst Mining is top of the class, do that give us advantage to solomine if we optimize files for Seagate Backup HDD 8TB? How much TB is the "milestone" for solominers, or is it a other factor then TB that decide if its smart to solomine or not?

5. Anyother points I missed that can help us achieve our goals?

• Hi @rafal_jakobsen
    Sounds like quite a project you have going on there!-)
    let me try to give you some answers. In reverse order

1. you didn't mention if your running Linux or Windows. But thats not realy to important.

2. Solomining is more profitable at that size (~100TB), but it can be frustrating at times.

• Your read speed will be perfectly ok an that machine!-) My preferred "weapon of choice" is jminer. manly because I can run it on the integrated (Intel) GPU and it gives me a read speed of ~20sec for 80TB. So I'll imaging you could use any old Graphics Card to do the mining. Blagos miner for CPU/Win or creepMiner for ...well, everything I think, will also do just fine. As longe as you have those resources free while plotting.

• So you bought Seagate's SMR Drives! Well then!-) They are a pain to plott but perfectly fine for mining! More on that later..

1. Don't worry to much! the new Pocc pools 100-0 / 50-50 / 0-100-pool.burst.cryptoguru.org work just fine for example. You'll be going solo anyway after you have plotted up to size.

2. Sounds about right. Me: oldish I7/7cores/13000 nonces/min. Balance is key! More on that l.....

3. Ok; The limiting factor for plotting IS disk write speed most of the time! Because of that its usually better to wright to a few discs in parallel. Also, there's no need to optimize if your using Xplotter for Win or oc_obup for linux. They all ready are optimized.

But, you bought SMR drives wich all the "cheaper" and Seagate ones are. Those drives dont like the way we plot or, more precisely, how we write to them! they are fast at the beginning but once the buffer is full the write speed drops down to almost nothing. like 5Mb/sec!
    The best way we come up with is, to plott to some sort of SSD first and than do an sequential write to the SMR disc. That way the head does not have to jump around or something!-)

For doing that you will have to write a script, adapt this one , do something with this or use Splotter(not recommend).

Next thing you want do is to find a balance between the cores your using, the amout of Ram and your disk write speed (it should be a SSD by now!-)
    Xplotter does everything asynchronous. Meaning it uses half of the Ram you've given him to create nonces and writes the other halve to the disk at the same time. For the fastest overall speed you never wont any of those two operations to wait for the other! Thats what I mean by finding a balance. With Xplotter you can stop the process change "amount of cores" (-t) and "Ram" (-mem) but keep everything else the same and it will continue from where you've stopped when restarted.

Plotting needs time! Unfortunately! Me, with my oldish highend(ish) gaming Rig, never made more then 1-1.5 TB a Day.
    My sugestion would be to buy yourself a couple of Intel Opten P900 SSD's and give them to me when you done!-)

Hope that mumbo-jumbo helped some..
    nixxda

• @nixxda Thanks for the reply!

1. I use Windows

2. I think I will start with pool mining for a while till I get my head in the game then switch to solo on a later point.
      The pool I been looking on is http://burst.ninja/ and http://pool.burstmining.club/

3. I tested a few plotting methods yesterday and found out that the best way was to plot my two internal HDD and then just export them to Seagate after plotting. The settings i use is 14 threads and 28 RAM on each, that gives me a plotting speed of 20000-22000 n/m on each and takes 1 day to plot 2x7 TB. So 28 of 32 threads in use and 56 of 64GB RAM in use.

Reason I choose to do the plotting on the two internal HDD was because of the HDD Write Scopping speed loading was much faster on the internal HDD then the External HDD.

1. Thanks for letting me know that I dont need to Optimize when using qBundle

2. What your thoughs on burst.btfg.space pool?

3. I see every pool have different deadlines, what is deadlines and how do I find out how fast I can reach deadlines?

4. Last question is right now I use 80% of my CPU and 90% of my RAM while plotting. Should I wait for all of my HDD is plotted before I start mining or can I run mining and plotting? ( not sure how much CPU / RAM mining uses )

• @rafal_jakobsen
    sounds good!-)

as a general rule for pool mining you want to be able to submit a deadline on every round! And this depends on your overall plottet size (more = more chances to find a faster deadline) and the max. accepted deadline on the pool. Apart from that every pool works.

1. Are your internal drives "normal" PMR by any chance?? e.g. "WD Red" or similar? Otherwise it should not matter much if the externals are connected through USB3.
      Anyway that speed sounds damned fucking amazing and you'll be done in no time!-)

4-6. maybe / yes / I'm getting lazy!-)

1. Because of that I shift my mining to a GPU. You'll need a little RAM for mining but not much. If you run Xplotter and Blagos miner at the same time performance will most likely be degraded. But you will just have to try!-)

as and afterthought: worry about your plots first! No overlapping! (qbundle mostly prevents that) and start thinking about performance afterwards. Because plotting twice takes the longest!-) Also you wont loose much, if any, if your mining is not optimal at the beginning.