Plot configuration by Hard drive Sizes

• I wonder if a plot by size chart would help you. Would it be it easier for people when they plot manually to look at the chart, select a configuration by the hard drive size. Leaving a% of free space for hard drive health. This would mean the experts have selected a plot size that best fits each drive. Later the person can optimize the plot to their machine.

For instance 1 TB Drive

1 plot(s) at 880 = 3604480
    2 plot(s) at 440 gb each = 1802240
    4 plot(s) at 220 gb each = 901120

Example
    wplotgenerator 12345678957898765432 0 3604480 4096 2

Having extra 10% space also allows you to install a copy of your favorite mining softwares with a wallet. On my external drives I install blago and solo mine or pool mine with my work laptop on the weekends.
    Also use https://forums.burst-team.us/topic/348/plotschecker

• @Burstde said in Plot configuration by Hard drive Sizes:

... Leaving a% of free space for hard drive health. This would mean the experts have selected a plot size that best fits each drive. ...

I didnt get this part? Could anyone explain me how x% free disk space would increase the health of a (non-ssd) hdd?

Antoher fact i could not believe is mentioned in this (official?) guide:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mTwPqBbkjfL3abIPkqNRcHpQp-3r2de7sDdmANJpR3Y/edit?pref=2&pli=1

"Do not use 100% of your HDD. If you do this, you HDD will be extremly slow. Please use only 90% of your HDD space and let 10% free. For example, if you have a 1TB HDD, let 100GB free."

Even my 5TB and 8TB HDDs are used for nearly 100% and only a few MB are free. I got the same reading-speed as if i only plotted 50% or 90% of the overall-sapce.

• @piezo Yes I had the same and the drives get warmer than usual. My internal 2 8tb drives keep dying and as long as Seagate still warranties them I get a new drive every 2 months. They do make good 5tb externals though

• Just completed the above sizes on one drive and the gpu miner seems happy with good deadlines so I think its a start of a good guide on what size to choose

• My 11 HDDs used for nearly 100% of size

• @piezo Proof how old my pool really was. Anyways links are broken however others have better calculators now.

• admin

@piezo The issue with trying to plot 100% of the disk space is that the plotters would round up and try to plot 105% of your capacity, leading to plotter hangs and mining warnings. By aiming at a % less than full capacity, the issue didn't happen.

• is there a performance advantage or efficiency reason for having greater than one plot per disk?

1 plot(s) at 880 = 3604480
    2 plot(s) at 440 gb each = 1802240
    4 plot(s) at 220 gb each = 901120

meaning, all else being equal, what's the reason for choosing one over the other if they all amount to the same amount of drive space?

• @nobody reason:
    if you have 1 drive -

1. you make plot (1/2 free disk's space)
    2. optimize it (need same space)
    3. go to 1)
      so you will have plots
      1/2 disk's space, optimized.
      1/4 disk's space, optimized.
      1/8 disk's space, optimized.
      1/16 disk's space, optimized.
      1/32 disk's space, not optimized.